Question / Help Elgato HD60 PRO HIGH CPU USAGE - HOW TO TURN ON ENCODER?

kroolikowy

Hello

I just changed my Elgato HD to Elgato HD60 PRO becasue i wanted to make quality of my streams highier and make CPU usage lower with this hardware encoder that is build in .
When i turned this on i found out that CPU usage in OBS Studio is same as on USB device probably becasue i dont know how to turn on this Hardware Encoder.

Someone can help me? I try to figure this out since couple hours.

Harold

Elgato doesn't give other software access to their hardware encoder.
If you're running OBS and this card on the same computer you're playing your games on, you're actually more likely to make performance WORSE by using the card.

Harold

With the avermedia that does have the encoder, you either use the encoder or you use the capture functions. You can't use both on the same card.

Videophile

Elgato
You generally don't want to use hardware encoders anyways, for quality reasons at low bit rates.

Do you have a Nvidia or Intel GPU available? You could use NVENC or QuickSync.

Also, was your caps lock stuff when you wrote the title? XD

kroolikowy

I was little nervous with my problem :P
I already use on board GPU. I can buy for example GTX 460 only for encoding.
Do u think it will work at least with 720@60??

randomr1ck

wait.. what? so why should i use an elgato hd 60pro anyway? o0 i thought the hardware encoder is the most obvious reason to put that thing into your computer. to get better performance while recording stuff!

Harold

Because:
1> They're not trying to capture the same computer they installed the card in and aren't gaming on the same computer they installed the card in (seriously, installing the card in the same computer you're going to capture while gaming on that same computer does NOT offer ANY performance gains, even best case scenario)
2> OBS offers a LOT more customization in regards to scene layout.

Nupper

I see them selling on Amazon used for around 125 so at least you can get some money back that way :)

sneaky4oe

Can elegato hd60 pro be used as a hardware encoder for 1080p60fps? Gotta encode it to normal resolution and quality at my laptop with ffmpeg and nginx - it's capable of doing this.
Like h264 my avermedia already does? I need to increase resolution.

layarion

Not with OBS or any software that isn't the elgato software.
wanted to thank you for the clarity you provided, I really wish the elgato team would clear up how they market their product, because i've spent the last 20 minutes wondering how to get the Elgato HD60 Pro to show up on my single PC setup for encoding options.

so aside from using their software, elgato's only purpose in life is to allow me to capture the audio and video of another device? that's not what I thought the advertising about obs was saying when is listed that this had an encoder.

let's say i did get a two PC setup, is the elgato products the best choice for 1080pa60 gaming?

Harold

They're sort of okay, but magewell, startech, and blackmagic tend to have fewer problems with OBS.