Question / Help Does Mic level work correctly?

Dragon

My mic recording is a little bit quiet comparing with XSplit one. At the moment I must speak loud and set sound/music in game to 25-40% plus set volume in OBS to 40% in order my voice could be heard over ingame sounds. In XSplit I even lowered Mic sensitivity to make it sound quietly. So I have the following question: what does Mic level and sound level influence on? Do their settings bind to each other (I mean should I change sound level only in game or in OBS too)?

Thank you for your answer in advance.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Try adjusting the volume settings in the mic properties in your windows sound control. Usually it defaults to being a bit low. May however change the volume meters to allow for amplification in the future

Dragon

Jim said:
Try adjusting the volume settings in the mic properties in your windows sound control. Usually it defaults to being a bit low. May however change the volume meters to allow for amplification in the future

Mic is set to its maximum in Windows sound control + set 20 db to mic sensitivity. It also can be a problem of windows or sound card :)

In general, what Mic slider in OBS affects? Sensitivity?

Muf

Forum Moderator
I'm not sure what XSplit did with your mic volume, but my personal experience is that even with range compression filtering (making normal speech just as loud as shouting), if I stay within legal limits (to prevent distortion), game sounds will be too loud in comparison, and need to be turned down to between 25% and 40% to be able to hear speech comfortably on my stream.

So what you're saying is the situation with OBS to me sounds like par for the course as far as streaming games with voice. To objectively verify sounds aren't too quiet, try going into the Windows Recording Devices control panel, and say something loud or tap your desk. If the green meter next to your microphone device in the list reaches 10 bars (full volume), then that is normal volume and you shouldn't try to boost it any more, because you will introduce unwanted distortion. An example of this is Destiny's stream, who routinely has his mic volume set too high causing extreme screeching noises when he starts shouting.