Bug Report Device is in use by another application!! HELP!!

Jordinaa

so i go to global source and video capture device then add it into my source then the screen says "This device is in use by another application" and i don't know what else to use. It used to work now it does not please help!

-Jordan

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
So it's not actually being used by another application when you get this problem?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I unfortunately don't quite know. Could you give a log file of the problem? Perhaps it is being used and you're not aware? I'm not entirely sure.

Jordinaa

Is their a way of me sending you and image of what it looks like? haha and log filing i'm not to sure.. The one thing i am not quite familiar with.

Kristina

I have the same problem and am wondering if it's meant to do that. If game capture is open before I start streaming/previewing, it will say device is in use by another application. If I start the stream and/or preview before opening game capture, it will work within OBS.

Is this how it's supposed to behave? It's frustrating, because I often capture the gameplay with Elgato in tandem with the stream so I have footage without chat and facecam over it. If this really is the case, I can't use Elgato as a global source, which isn't very efficient.

Kristina

Okay. I just came over from wirecast, where I ran elgato in full screen mode and captured the monitor, so I haven't run across this type of usage before, I may just have to use it this way.

Are there any processing benefits to using it one way or the other? or will cpu load be the same no matter which way it's done?

daniel gavino

I have this same issue on obs studio, but i promise i have no other program open that i can see that would use my el gato. Plz help