Question / Help CPU while OBS is idle

scott_recordings

Why is OBS taking 5% +/- processing power while idle and minimized? Is there a setting to change of some sort?

Not certain if it's beneficial...here's my system...

Win 10Pro x64
i7-8700
GIGABYTE mobo
32 GB RAM
RX 550 graphics card
6 displays (1x TV)

Scott

Last edited:

Suslik V

Also, these 5% may become even less if you switch off power saving for the PC (power plan High Performance, for example). Indeed, 5% at 800MHz is far less when your CPU running at 4000MHz. Maybe this the case?

scott_recordings

Anything you have open whether idle or not has to use some CPU..
Understandably, and more so than what is displayed by any task manager. However, even my Chrome browser, for which I have 5 windows open on 2 virtual desktops with a total of 60+ tabs actually presents as 0% when not the active window. OBS is a constant of around 5%.
Also, these 5% may become even less if you switch off power saving for the PC (power plan High Performance, for example). Indeed, 5% at 800MHz is far less when your CPU running at 4000MHz. Maybe this the case?
I see your point, though compared to all other idle apps, OBS is using much more power.

manybuddies

When you said "idle", you do mean idle, right? With no project loaded? Otherwise, it IS doing work, not idle, rendering whatever you set it to display at real time, just not outputting or encoding the file. It goes without saying that encoding would require even more CPU.

Unless you request the developer that when no "jobs" are running, you want OBS Studio to stop all rendering when you minimize it. THAT is a feature request, and it requires work. Although energy efficient, not many users would require that, because most use-case-scenarios, people open OBS Studio to "do some work", be it simple encoding, or streaming (plus encoding). They close it after their work is done.

Just my 2 cents.

scott_recordings

When you said "idle", you do mean idle, right? With no project loaded? Otherwise, it IS doing work, not idle, rendering whatever you set it to display at real time, just not outputting or encoding the file. It goes without saying that encoding would require even more CPU.
Right, as mentioned, no rendering, with OBS minimized.

Unless you request the developer that when no "jobs" are running, you want OBS Studio to stop all rendering when you minimize it. THAT is a feature request, and it requires work. Although energy efficient, not many users would require that, because most use-case-scenarios, people open OBS Studio to "do some work", be it simple encoding, or streaming (plus encoding). They close it after their work is done.
Got it. I don't close it because I use several Scenes. Upon re-opening OBS, I must re-assign windows to the respective Scenes.