Question / Help Corrupted Recording

Thorusofer

So I've had 2 corrupted recordings when using OBS in the last three days, and I don't know what happened. This caused me to lose almost 2 hours worth of footage overall now, and I need help with this. I just updated my version of OBS because I was using the 21.1.0 release and have been for a while now. Did anyone else have this problem with OBS on that version? If you did, were you able to find a way to uncorrupt and fix the video files? I need that footage back, and I can't find a way to fix it myself.

The_Radster

Same here, My videos are getting corrupted when they get too long and at times aren't able to skip to different parts of the video. The best thing you can do is look up some free file recovery programs or solutions on the internet on online.

Narcogen

Don't record to MP4. Record to MKV or FLV and transcode afterwards. There is no practical way to recover an incomplete mp4.

Thorusofer

I actually found out whats going on. The reason they were corrupting is because I had run out of file space during the recordings, which caused them to corrupt and be lost. That was completely my bad, but at least I know to keep a better eye on my HDD space now. I just thought the recordings automatically ended once the disk got full.

Narcogen

Nope. But in that case, if the recording had been MKV or FLV, you could have freed up space and had a recording you could use. MP4 recordings break if they aren't closed properly-- a crash or disk full error leaves you with a multi-gigabyte lump of nothing.

Thorusofer

Thing is, I never got a notification that the disk was full or some error like that through OBS. I only figured that out by testing a couple of things. I could probably have still deleted older footage I didn't need before ending the recording and it would have been fine, but oh well. You live and learn.

Narcogen

OBS does not have such a warning. It expects that you know you have as much storage space as you need when you start recording.

Thorusofer

Ah, the way you said that disk full error in your last reply made it seem like OBS has that feature built in somewhere.

Suslik V

Open Stats window of OBS Studio (main menu View>Stats). The label turns orange and then red depending on available space.