Control Media Source playback

Ineentho

I would love to have some feature in the media source that could allow me to seek to a specific time. I sometimes use the media source to play longer videos, in which case it can be annoying to having to restart the video from the start after pausing.

I see two ways of implementing this:
1. (Probbly overkill) Provide basic playback control in the context menu of the source
2. Allow you to set the start time of a video in the properties window.

Is this something that is desireable / doable?

Edit: I'm pretty sure this doesn't fit the description of this subforum, but I couldn't find a better one. Would be more appropriate to put this in a general OBS MP forum.

Andy Brine

This is a great question, I was looking for the same thing. If it possible to even pause, play, rewind or fastforward at all? Like Ineentho mentioned when I open a long video, there is now way to seek to a specific location.

One other thought that I had was to share a window from VLC when I can do what I want. Another question with that is though, if it possible to get the audio source from VLC or another application?

RubenReis

Hi, any news on this subject? I just launched 20.1.0 but it only plays and pauses with the active/inactive event.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
There are no new updates since a few months ago, no. I should add that when I said they were in development back in 2015, I was clearly mistaken.

If you want to express support for this feature, be sure to do so on our ideas page: https://ideas.obsproject.com

OBSnewby

Hi, I know this is old but im also looking a way to have plaback control on my embeded videos and i noticed VLC sources is not available on OBS 20.0.1
How can this be done?
Thanks

davkaz

Hi guys, the classic phrase of Brazilians writing in English: "sorry for my bad english",

what I do to work with a stopwatch is adding a window capture using Media Player Classic, and I can control the media.

See how it works for the attached video (https://youtu.be/sbo-hGfxCqk).

In VLC you can also put the output as OpenGL and use Game Capture in OBS, use hotkeys or playlists the way you prefer, etc.

All I did was a timer from 0 to 30 minutes and I can use it like this.

davkaz

Guys, I did another tutorial and I’m going to go up on YouTube to follow the playback time while it plays on OBS. All this using only VLC Player and Image Mask / Blend (OBS Filter).

It can help some of you:

(the tutorial is in Portuguese, my native language, but if you want I can subtitle it in en_US)

Mario Mey

You can control video playback by using hotkeys. You can Play/Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Mute/Unmute for "Video Source", "VLC Video Source" and "Image Slides".

4L3x

The first post was on 2015, is there any update with regards to this one? when we insert a MEDIA SOURCE, we don't know when it will end because of lack of playback control or navigator. Is there any way to see whether the media source is going to end? thanks

jensmh

You can control video playback by using hotkeys. You can Play/Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Mute/Unmute for "Video Source", "VLC Video Source" and "Image Slides".

Having to assign hotkey for every Media Source has it's merits, as it gives me the ability to control many sources, but a preset could help to make the process easier....