Question / Help Constant System and Wifi Crashes w/ Recording

lunelle

Hi all, I've searched high and low for the answer, but no one seems to have my exact problem and I'm hoping someone can help me out. Every time I open OBS and run a game, my wifi disconnects (it's a Linksys A3000 adapter, drivers are up to date). I'm running on an AW Auror R3, fresh back from the repair shop with a new fan. I've got to upgrade memory, but for now there's ~250 GB left over.

Yes, before anyone says it I know I shouldn't be using an adapter for streaming, but since I'm doing local recording only, I figured it'd be alright for the time being. The recordings will start/stop fine, and don't appear to be corrupted during playback.

After the wifi jams, I'll try to close OBS (sometimes this crashes the program and requires a forced restart, sometimes it closes fine)--in either case, I can't reconnect my wifi (via unplugging/replugging or troubleshooting) until I restart the computer. Obviously this is an issue if I'm going to be recording any sort of MMO or co-op games (which I plan to). So far, the order seems to be this:
  • Start up OBS and run game
  • 5 minutes in, adapter is no longer detected by the computer and the internet shows as "disconnected" (NOTE: the connected light is still on in my adapter)
  • I'll close OBS. Depending, it'll either freeze my entire system and require the task manager, or it'll close normally on its own.
  • I restart the computer (which can take >5 minutes. this long restart process happens ONLY with OBS)
  • Upon restart there's a BSOD or general bugginess with my startup processes.
Any ideas as to what might be going on? The shop put it through stress tests and it did just fine, and I've played a variety of high-demand games w/o OBS just to see if it was my actual computer that couldn't handle it--the computer ran fine and shut down in a normal amount of time (2 minutes or less). Apologies-- I'd include a log, but I don't know how.

TIA.

lunelle

Thanks- got it. This is one from today before I had to restart. I'll try and find another if this one doesn't work, but OBS crashes right as I try and upload because of the whole wifi shutoff issue :

Attachments

• 2016-06-29 15-03-37.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 25

lunelle

Updating with a crash log from today. I uninstalled any programs that I thought would conflict with OBS and then uninstalled/reinstalled OBS to see if maybe it was a faulty install the 1st go round. Five minutes into me creating a new scene (no games open, didn't even start a game cap), the wifi shows as "disconnected" and when I try to exit, it crashes, necessitating a restart.

Again, all my other USB devices are fine (Logitech C920, Blue Snowball, Logitech mouse).

Attachments

• 2016-06-30 09-13-59.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 12

Harold

Those are regular logs, not crash logs, but you're probably actually overloading your usb.

lunelle

Sorry about that, still super new to this. If it is actually a usb overload, is it safe to assume that an ethernet cable would reduce the stress and fix it?

lunelle

Got everything to work. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Harold, it appears you were right- my USB port was overloaded. I got a hardwire cable to my router and now everything's running like it should. No more wifi recording for me!