Bug Report Cannot update to 21.0.1 nor install - avutil-55.dll

compostelajr

Hello all,

I am trying to update OBS Studio on my office PC and the update fails, telling me that "avutil-55.dll is still in use". I closed all my programs, same, reset PC, same, and when trying a new installation an error window pops up telling me:

Error opening file for writing:
D:\Programs\obs-studio\bin\32bit\avutil-55.dll
Click Retry to try again, or Cancel to stop the installat
ion​

I don't know what to do, because no other instance of OBS is running. By the way, I could update my streaming laptop yesterday.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance and congratulations to the devs for the amazing work with the update.

compostelajr

Thanks DEDRICK, not those apps but a keyboard software was causing this. Killed the process and everything went smooth. Thanks!

Tormy

Some control-panel of some USB cam, also uses that .DLL
Just exit it, and retry. It works out

Ran into this problem today trying to update from 2.1.0 to 2.1.2. Turns out it was RipsawUSBPortChecker (some background software for my Razer Ripsaw).

Zooip

On Windows, type this in a command shell (Windows key + R then type cmd) to see which process is using the dll :
tasklist /m avutil-55.dll

For me it was Slack

miguel4063

On Windows, type this in a command shell (Windows key + R then type cmd) to see which process is using the dll :
tasklist /m avutil-55.dll

For me it was Slack
This worked for me! In my case it was avutil-56.dll which was being used by Microsoft Teams. It would be nice if in the future the installer would recognize this and give you the option to close the applications that are using that dll. But, for now I guess it's ok. Thanks!

Banyarola

This worked for me! In my case it was avutil-56.dll which was being used by Microsoft Teams. It would be nice if in the future the installer would recognize this and give you the option to close the applications that are using that dll. But, for now I guess it's ok. Thanks!

This thread is two years old...

Vajira

tasklist /m avutil-55.dll was very helpful to see what was using the dll. I have killed all processes (Teams) but OBS still won't install and says something is using the dll but the tasklist /m avutil-55.dll shows nothing is being used ? trying to upgrade to 26.0