Question / Help /Bug? | OBS preview freezes and terminates the Stream/Capture

GlowTimeHD

Hello Support!

Since a few days I have massive problems with the OBS studio preview. It randomly freezes and terminates the stream and the capture. The freeze only affects the preview, the streaming start/stop button and the capture start/stop button, all other things like the options stay usable.
It takes a little time before the freeze appears and it's not always at the same time.

The complete log is included.

With the Error "gs_texture_open_shared (D3D11): Failed to open resource (887A0005)" the preview freezes. I used Minecraft because there the freeze happens more often than in other games/scenes. (Yes in scenes it freezes too)

Another thing that happens when I capture MC is a instant Framedrop from ca. 30 to 4 FPS. Closing OBS does not help, the FPS stay at 4... I have to restart MC. (this happens only in MC)
I don't know if there is a connection to the freeze of the preview?! But it also happens since a few days :(

I reinstalled OBS and the drivers for my nvidia card (used some older drivers for testing), nothing worked :(

I hope you can understand everything of my English :D

Regards
Yannick

PC specs:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 ti OC
Intel Core i5 3350p (3,1 GHz)
8 GB RAM
Windows 10

=================================

UPDATE:
We have found out that the Anniversary Update for Win10 broke some capturestuff and with the last commulativ Update KB3176938 and the Adobe Flash Update the OBS capturing of games and sources. Uninstalling these Updates will help for now!

Attachments

• 2016-09-04 16-46-26.txt
    42 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

viirevox

The EXACT same thing with the preview freeze is happening to me. Driving me nuts. No clue how to fix.

MrFierce2

Me too... i deinstalled the latest windows + adobe update 1607 and it works again!!!!!!!!!!!
Try it and give feedback pls.

GlowTimeHD

Glad to hear that there are others with the same problem.

Me too... i deinstalled the latest windows + adobe update 1607 and it works again!!!!!!!!!!!
Try it and give feedback pls.

I will try that! Something I didn't thought of! The latest cumulative Update KB3176938 fit's with formation of my problem.

But it is not a fix for a long time. Something has to be fixed in OBS :/
But for now I will try that and tell you if it works for me :)

Thank you for your help!

GlowTimeHD

I can confirm that the Windows 10 Update KB3176938 broke something in OBS.
Rolling back to the old update KB3176936 and OBS works perfectly!

It would be great if OBS could look into this because I don't know how to stop Windows from Updating my PC, it always installs the latest Updates when I'm restarting my PC :D

EDIT:

My problem with MC was fixed too, so something is really messed up in the latest Win update!

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
I can confirm that the Windows 10 Update KB3176938 broke something in OBS.
Rolling back to the old update KB3176936 and OBS works perfectly!

It would be great if OBS could look into this because I don't know how to stop Windows from Updating my PC, it always installs the latest Updates when I'm restarting my PC :D

You're using OBS Studio 0.15.2, but the current version is 0.15.4. There was an update in 0.15.3 for game capture in Windows 10. Try updating to OBS Studio 0.15.4.

KB3176938 is supposed to be targeted at fixing the webcam and video capture device issues that were introduced in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (breaking the majority of webcams, no really).

If you're having issues with KB3176938, you might want to report those issues to Microsoft.

GlowTimeHD

You're using OBS Studio 0.15.2, but the current version is 0.15.4. There was an update in 0.15.3 for game capture in Windows 10. Try updating to OBS Studio 0.15.4.

KB3176938 is supposed to be targeted at fixing the webcam and video capture device issues that were introduced in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (breaking the majority of webcams, no really).

If you're having issues with KB3176938, you might want to report those issues to Microsoft.

The same problem happened in 0.15.4. I downgraded for testing purposes^^ Sry that I didn't mentioned that.
Ohm what should I report? I really don't now what exactly is wrong at this Windows Version :(

A admin should do this who has some more knowledge about OBS and this capture things....

Shadow5talker

I've been having the same issue with OBS Studio 0.15.4 since last week (since the updates came out) borderlands / ark survival evolved / gta 5 and a few others would just freeze frame while game audio/mic were still active. Upon trying to end the stream obs would just sit on "stopping stream" for ever unless I asked it to force close the stream etc.

Upon removal of the update KB3176938 and the adobe flash update (as a temp test) OBS started game capturing again fine without issue. So something in the last update (or both updates) is causing an OBS freeze frame for game capture.

GlowTimeHD

I've been having the same issue with OBS Studio 0.15.4 since last week (since the updates came out) borderlands / ark survival evolved / gta 5 and a few others would just freeze frame while game audio/mic were still active. Upon trying to end the stream obs would just sit on "stopping stream" for ever unless I asked it to force close the stream etc.

Upon removal of the update KB3176938 and the adobe flash update (as a temp test) OBS started game capturing again fine without issue. So something in the last update (or both updates) is causing an OBS freeze frame for game capture.
That is what we have found out :D
Now Microsoft has to fix this mess...

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Ohm what should I report? I really don't now what exactly is wrong at this Windows Version :(

A admin should do this who has some more knowledge about OBS and this capture things....

From the Microsoft thread I linked earlier:
Mike M - Windows Camera Team said:
If you have any issues after installing KB3176938, please use the Feedback Hub to send us a note. Tag the title with the KB number, and specify the camera you’re using, its driver version, desired media type format, and expected vs. actual results in the description. Thanks!

Even if you're not using a camera, if KB3176938 is affecting your gameplay, it may be worthwhile to report that via the Windows Feedback Hub.

That is what we have found out :D
Now Microsoft has to fix this mess...
Microsoft can only fix it if they know it's an issue.

GlowTimeHD

From the Microsoft thread I linked earlier:

Even if you're not using a camera, if KB3176938 is affecting your gameplay, it may be worthwhile to report that via the Windows Feedback Hub.

Microsoft can only fix it if they know it's an issue.

And I said, I have no clue how, because I don't know exactly what is wrong! I'm not the coder who knows everything about OBS...
I will definitely write nothing to them, because I can't answer their questions if the had some...
Sry for my view of the things but I am not helpful in this case. :)

Baz4k

This is happening to all the time and I have no idea whats causing it any tips
This iis an outdated thread. Here is the thread for thed new issue.