Question / Help Browser plugin

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Faruton has released a browser plugin for Mac, and that should be coming to Linux eventually. It will obviously not be CLR-based.

Manite

My desire for that plugin knows no bounds. ;) If I were better with the programming side I'd compile the plugin myself to see how it is so far. But alas, I stink at that side of things.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Here is the source code: https://github.com/kc5nra/obs-browser

I believe it compiles and works, it's just that a release hasn't been "officially" made for it yet. You are certainly welcome to compile it yourself until a formal release is made. Once it's compiled, it goes in your ~/.obs-studio/plugins directory (in its own obs-browser directory).

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It lets you add a source to your scene that is a browser, which can show a web page. This is very useful for adding Flash and HTML5 applications/animations/effects to a stream. Virtually all follower alert and notification apps use a browser source to display on the screen.

Here is the source code: https://github.com/kc5nra/obs-browser

I believe it compiles and works, it's just that a release hasn't been "officially" made for it yet. You are certainly welcome to compile it yourself until a formal release is made. Once it's compiled, it goes in your ~/.obs-studio/plugins directory (in its own obs-browser directory).
could you tell me how to compile it on linux? there's no INSTALL file or README and trying to make returned
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Manite

I haven't sucessfully built it yet either but found that you need to use cmake.

searching led me to
cmake -DUNIX_STRUCTURE=1

which gave me
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:10 (find_package):
By not providing "FindLibObs.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "LibObs", but
CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "LibObs" with any
of the following names:

LibObsConfig.cmake
libobs-config.cmake

Add the installation prefix of "LibObs" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
"LibObs_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files. If "LibObs"
provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been
installed.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Maybe you'll have more luck than me.

Faruton

Developer
Clone obs-browser in plugins in the obs-studio source path

Edit the plugins/CMakeLists.txt to add the new directory obs-browser

Then build obs studio as normal. You'll also need to download cef binaries and set CEF_ROOT_DIR when running cmake

Eventually I'll make the process easier

Clone obs-browser in plugins in the obs-studio source path

Edit the plugins/CMakeLists.txt to add the new directory obs-browser

Then build obs studio as normal. You'll also need to download cef binaries and set CEF_ROOT_DIR when running cmake

Eventually I'll make the process easier
im not exactly sure but these are the steps i took. i did a git clone on obs-browser while I was in the obs-studio source files folder so now I have /home/ubu/obs-studio/plugins/obs-browser/
and now looking at CMakeLists.txt file located within ~/obs-studio/plugins/ i see the following
Code:
if(WIN32)
    add_subdirectory(win-wasapi)
    add_subdirectory(win-dshow)
    add_subdirectory(win-capture)
elseif(APPLE)
    add_subdirectory(mac-avcapture)
    add_subdirectory(mac-capture)
    add_subdirectory(mac-syphon)
elseif("${CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME}" MATCHES "Linux")
    add_subdirectory(linux-capture)
    add_subdirectory(linux-pulseaudio)
    add_subdirectory(linux-v4l2)
endif()

add_subdirectory(image-source)
add_subdirectory(obs-x264)
add_subdirectory(obs-libfdk)
add_subdirectory(obs-ffmpeg)
add_subdirectory(obs-outputs)
add_subdirectory(rtmp-services)
add_subdirectory(text-freetype2)
Im not sure what you mean by add the new directory obs-browser to this file? I also don't know what needed to download cef binaries and set CEF_ROOT_DIR

admalledd

I *think* I got it to compile once or twice, but never running or anything. Lots of "how the heck do you install these things to the right place"... (on linux fwiw if not obvious)

A dependency that is not easily in apt, CEF: https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

And from there you have to build CEF a bit, point the build scripts to wherever it is, but I ran into issues with it loading locales and some "icudtl.dat" file (where to place on PATH or whatever?) and some other DLOPEN failures making me thing that I have compiled/linked CEF into the browser plugin very wrong...

Faruton

Developer
the icudtl.dat issue is one of the reasons linux isn't as easy as windows. (OSX has the same problem but I got around it by isolating it in its own process)

It looks for icudtl.dat in the same location executable hosting the shared object (so /usr/bin). Windows looks in the location of the dll (which makes it nicer)

Manite

Getting back to my initial question, how many more months are we looking at till we have this progressing to the ppa installs?

Manite

Faruton, can we get some kind of timeframe on this? Contrary to popular belief not all linux users are programmers. Not pressuring for a release, just the roughest of estimates when it can hopefully be seen in a ppa release.