Bug Report Browser Plugin not working with Kaspersky Antivirus

Line40

Hi,

I have just started experimenting with OBS Studio, since it seems it's shaping up really great and all the features I missed from previous releases are there now. Kudos to the team, I really appreciate you doing all this hard work for us!

I have a small issue with the browser plugin, but maybe its worth looking into because it may be a sign of some general problem: When I have my Kaspersky Antivirus running when starting OBS Studio, the BrowserSource does not render all websites. Worst thing for me is that Twitchalerts Alert Box does not work. Some sites do work, like this one http://www.hermannseib.com/vsthost.htm , so I guess it's not an installation issue.

I tried fiddling with the Kaspersky settings, like Web Protection, but even when I disable Kaspersky completely before launching OBS Studio, Twitchalerts does not work. The only solution is to exit Kaspersky, launch OBS Studio, then run it again.

The legacy OBS with CLR BrowserSource does not have this issue.

I have also attached logs of OBS when Kaspersky is running during startup, and when its not running.

Cheers

Line40

Attachments

• 2016-02-06 13-22-40_Kaspersky_running.txt
    14.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 2016-02-06 13-23-40_Kaspersky_not_running.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 29

Osiris

Post the debug.log from the bin\32bit or bin\64bit folder inside the obs-studio installation folder.

scooti

Hello,

I have the same problem with OBS and Kaspersky.
Here is my LOG File.

Attachments

• debug.log
    42.9 KB · Views: 52

Osiris

Seems Kaspersky is messing with ssl traffic. Uninstall it and try again.
Or disable scanning of encrypted connections.

Last edited:

scooti

The only way to fix the Problem is to uninstall kaspersky?
I have disable the Option but still dont work

Line40

@scooti The following workaround did it for me without uninstalling Kaspersky:

1) Exit Kaspersky by right clicking on the system tray icon
2) Start up OBS Studio
3) Surf to Twitchalerts' AlertBox, and send a test alert, make sure Kaspersky is still off!
4) Start Kaspersky again

@Osiris It's not sufficient to disable Kaspersky's web traffic scanning, or even disable Kaspersky altogether, you have to exit the application completely.
I'm baffled you're actually suggesting to uninstall anti virus software... Isn't it possible to file a bug report to the team, and look into this a little further? As I said, the original OBS CLR Browsersource does not have this issue, so it might be fixable on OBS Studio's side. I'm pretty sure asking Kaspersky to fix it would be futile ;)

Cheers

Line40

Osiris

There is no team, I am the only one making any changes to the browser source atm,
I'm not exactly sure what I can do about this, all the network stuff is handled by the CEF library, a much newer one that was used in the CLR Browser plugin.

Line40

@Harold: As I wrote in my first post, it is unlikely that Kaspersky would fix it, even if I reported it to them. Its not like OBS is Word, or Outlook or anything. Also, the old Browser Plugin does not have this issue.

I would look into the issue myself, but I'm currently streaming actively and can't bring myself to debugging ;)

However, I hopefully found a better solution than to disable Kaspersky completely: Kaspersky offers to add "trustworthy programs" in their interface. I used the the german Kaspersky interface of the 15.0.2 Version , so you might have to search for the correct wording:
The entry is somewhere in a tab named "Advanced" or "Extended". On the tab I have a text that translates to something like "Dangers and Exceptions", when you click on it, another page is displayed which has an entry like "Trusted programs" or something similar. When you click on it, you can add obs32.exe and obs64.exe trough the inteface that pops up. First you click on a button "Add", and in the next page you click on the text "Search" in the lower left corner and add the executables.
I ticked the following boxes:
"Don't scan opened files"
"Don't check program activity"
"Don't check activity of child processes"
"Ignore all traffic by this program"

In a first test this worked perfectly, although the debug log still shows the same errors in Chromium.

Hope this helps someone, I would also add screenshots but as I said the UI is german, so I guess they won't be of much use.

I know its not a perfect solution, if someone would be able to attack obs while running, it would basically give the attacker all rights of the obs project process, without Kaspersky having a chance of rectifying the problem even for new processes the attacker starts in the obs context, but I hope the chances for that are slim enough :P

Cheers

Line40