Question / Help Brightness of a remux recording?

keybounce

The mp4 output from a remux that works does not have the same brightness as the original flv, at least comparing the flv in MPlayerX, to the mp4 in either quicktime player or iMovie. (I can't open two different files at the same time in MPlayerX, so I can't compare that). (Hmm, actually, I can open one in VLC ... wait a sec -- VLC and MPlayerX don't agree on the brightness of the same .flv??? So ... how does OBS determine the brightness? What does it match to?)

Wait. The mp4 from remux is actually in-between the brightness of the flv in MPlayerX and VLC. (VLC is darker, MPlayerX is lighter, and the remux is in the middle). So ... What the heck?

iMovie also wants to "optimize" the remux'd mp4's, turning them into giant, "apple intermediate codec" files. Can this be avoided?

kalmarin

Different players display content at different color ranges for H.264 video, at least by default. It has nothing to do with file format or how OBS remuxes things. You have to dig through player settings to make things work consistently across all of them and it's very annoying, but not an OBS issue.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
You can always record straight to MP4 if you want by setting the output settings to Advanced, select FFmpeg output, and save the file as a .mp4.