Blackmagic Intensity Pro -- upscaling question

Discussion in 'Questions and Help' started by Drumstix42, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Drumstix42 Member

New to using capture cards here.

It took me a while to get my xbox 360 working with component, but I've got it working through OBS now via the "Decklink Video Capture" device.

I have my Xbox 360 set to 720p video, my Blackmagic software set to 720p 59hz refresh, and OBS set to match (720p/59hz).
    Everything shows up great.

My question is: I'm used to streaming at 1080p. Should I simply stretch my scene to fit? It looks fairly decent, but I'm looking for the best quality and I'm not sure what my options are.

I know the Blackmagic software settings have Upscale for Input/Output, but I'm not sure what it actually does.

Any advice would be great! Thanks for your time.
  2. Sapiens 4:2:0 Blaze It (b'_')b

If your Xbox is outputting at 720p there is absolutely no reason to upscale it to 1080p. It would only make your stream look worse.
  3. Drumstix42 Member

While this is true, viewing a stream in fullscreen or on a larger monitor is going to having the video be displayed at larger than 720p anyway.

So I'm wondering if I should let flash/stream player upscale it, or just Stream it at 1080p and let OBS do the "stretching" upscale. It honestly still looks pretty good, but I'm looking for the best option in this case.

The xbox can be set to 1080p, but as far as I read, the Intensity Pro only picks up 1080i. I could be wrong, but I'm not the most educated on the hardware yet.
  4. dodgepong Meat Popsicle

Admin

You should let the player upscale it. Don't upscale it yourself.
  5. Sapiens 4:2:0 Blaze It (b'_')b

Having OBS upscale the video means it will be encoding at 1080p instead of 720p. That's a significant load increase for your CPU, less compression, and also less quality for your bitrate compared to 720p.