Question / Help Bitrate/Dropped Frames

djbjones123

(Logs Included, PLZ HELP) Hey There. I Have Recently Been Streaming Using OBS Studio 22.0.2 And I Use A Elgato HD60s Primarily With My PS4 Pro. Occasionally I Stream Gaming From My PC. The Main/Only Game I Really Stream Is Fortnite On Both My PS4 And My PC. I Stream To Facebook And I Am A Partner With Their Level Up Program. My Issue Is The Last 2-3 Days My Settings Go Messed Up Somewhere Along The Way And I Dont Know What Happened. I Tried Reverting Back To My Settings I Had Previously But It Did Not Work, I Ran the Auto Config And It Set Me Some Basic Setttings (Encode & Decode NVENC, High Quality Recording, Base 1080 Scaled 720, 60fps) Now While I Am Allowed To Stream In 1080 Thanks To Being Partnered with Facebook Gaming My Problem Is The Bit Rate No Matter What I Set It To, It Only Seems To Deliver Half That Speed. (e.g. If I Set Bit Rate At 4000 I Get 2700 Or So And I Drop Frames) My Internet is about 400mbps Upload and 400mbps Download. Can Someone Help Little Old Me?

i Should Also Say I Have No Issue When Using Streamlabs Or The Streaming Service Withing The Elgato Game Capture Application.

I Just Attached Logs And Speedtest Results As Of The Time Of This Upload.

speed test result: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7692273143

Attachments

• 2018-10-05 02-04-00.txt
    8 KB · Views: 76

carlmmii

There's no stream/recording attempt in those logs.

From what we can see though...

02:04:01.097: Windows 10 Gaming Features:
02:04:01.097: Game DVR: On
02:04:01.178: Adapter 1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Kill Game DVR, it'll free up the encoding resources OBS needs. Win10 update 1809 turned on a lot of the game mode/recording/dvr "features", which would explain the issue occurring in the last 2-3 days.

This is just a guess though. No way to know what's actually happening without a stream/recording attempt in the logs.

Last edited:

djbjones123

Sorry About That. Also Something To Note. After First Time Opening OBS If I close And Reopen its says obs is already running, i check task manager tray not running. Also I have to click stop recording/stop streaming multiple times before it will actually stop.

*Also i usually record so i can get mp4 clips/highlights from stream. is there any other way to do this while not recording?

Attachments

• 2018-10-05 17-22-34.txt
    15 KB · Views: 39

carlmmii

Your recording is set for NVENC, but your stream is set to use x264 on medium. That's just not possible with your cpu for 1080p.

Also, don't use mp4 for recording. Use either mkv or flv.

djbjones123

So I should change my stream to NVENC? and it seems to be my bit rate, I have played and played with it but somehow cant get it to work properly.

carlmmii

Your bitrate may be too high as well, as noted by the dropped frames. But the immediate problem is overloading your encoder.

Change your streaming encoder to NVENC, with whatever bitrate you need to stream for your service that your connection can handle. For your recording, make sure you choose "use stream encoder", otherwise you'll likely encounter a problem with multiple nvenc sessions simultaneously overloading your 760's encoder.

In theory, your CPU should be able to handle the x264 encode if you drop the quality preset down. But just to get things going for now, try the NVENC encoder.

Stavo187

(Logs Included, PLZ HELP) Hey There. I Have Recently Been Streaming Using OBS Studio 22.0.2 And I Use A Elgato HD60s Primarily With My PS4 Pro. Occasionally I Stream Gaming From My PC. The Main/Only Game I Really Stream Is Fortnite On Both My PS4 And My PC. I Stream To Facebook And I Am A Partner With Their Level Up Program. My Issue Is The Last 2-3 Days My Settings Go Messed Up Somewhere Along The Way And I Dont Know What Happened. I Tried Reverting Back To My Settings I Had Previously But It Did Not Work, I Ran the Auto Config And It Set Me Some Basic Setttings (Encode & Decode NVENC, High Quality Recording, Base 1080 Scaled 720, 60fps) Now While I Am Allowed To Stream In 1080 Thanks To Being Partnered with Facebook Gaming My Problem Is The Bit Rate No Matter What I Set It To, It Only Seems To Deliver Half That Speed. (e.g. If I Set Bit Rate At 4000 I Get 2700 Or So And I Drop Frames) My Internet is about 400mbps Upload and 400mbps Download. Can Someone Help Little Old Me?

i Should Also Say I Have No Issue When Using Streamlabs Or The Streaming Service Withing The Elgato Game Capture Application.

I Just Attached Logs And Speedtest Results As Of The Time Of This Upload.

speed test result: http://www.speedtest.net/result/7692273143
I’m having same issue I can stream at 1080p on twitch no problem what so ever but when I get to Facebook and stream on there I drop a lot of frames.

Stavo187

I’m having same issue I can stream at 1080p on twitch no problem what so ever but when I get to Facebook and stream on there I drop a lot of frames.
Plz can anyone help, huge blurriness and frame drop from streaming on Facebook but doesn’t happen when streaming to Twitch at all.

Narcogen

If you can stream with the same settings to Twitch, then OBS is properly configured.

If Facebook works less well then you need to address a question either to Facebook, or to your internet service provider.

Stavo187

If you can stream with the same settings to Twitch, then OBS is properly configured.

If Facebook works less well then you need to address a question either to Facebook, or to your internet service provider.
My internet is fine I’m getting 115mbps download and 12 mbps upload so I’m not sure why that is.

Narcogen

Speedtest results are not useful when troubleshooting streaming performance. A general speedtest result does not tell you how fast your connection is to a streaming service, or whether you are dropping packets to that service, or if your ISP is shaping traffic to streaming sites.

Stavo187

Speedtest results are not useful when troubleshooting streaming performance. A general speedtest result does not tell you how fast your connection is to a streaming service, or whether you are dropping packets to that service, or if your ISP is shaping traffic to streaming sites.
So what do you recommend??? Because I’m only having this issue with Facebook and nothing else. My stream is perfect on twitch no issue what so ever.

Narcogen

1. Complain to Facebook that you would like to use them for streaming but cannot because of bad performance, and ask if there is any information you can pass to your ISP to help them address your issue
  2. Complain to your ISP that your performance to Twitch is good, but performance to Facebook is bad
  3. Reduce the bitrate you stream to Facebook low enough that the problem does not recur (may not help if the connections are not related to traffic congestion)
  4. Stream to Twitch instead of Facebook

Stavo187

1. Complain to Facebook that you would like to use them for streaming but cannot because of bad performance, and ask if there is any information you can pass to your ISP to help them address your issue
  2. Complain to your ISP that your performance to Twitch is good, but performance to Facebook is bad
  3. Reduce the bitrate you stream to Facebook low enough that the problem does not recur (may not help if the connections are not related to traffic congestion)
  4. Stream to Twitch instead of Facebook
Well I’ve been streaming to twitch now past 2 days but prefer Facebook and I’ll try the first 2 thank you for the help

Narcogen

00:17:43.411: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmps://rtmp-api.facebook.com:443/rtmp/...
00:17:43.543: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Interface: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller (ethernet, 1000 mbps)
00:17:43.844: RTMPSockBuf_Fill, recv returned -30848. GetSockError(): 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
00:17:43.844: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Connection to rtmps://rtmp-api.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ failed: -3

The above is a network issue. OBS is attempting to stream to Facebook and failing because the server does not answer. The log contains some successful attempts that stop after 10 seconds or so with no significant reported frame drops.

Stavo187

00:17:43.411: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmps://rtmp-api.facebook.com:443/rtmp/...
00:17:43.543: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Interface: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller (ethernet, 1000 mbps)
00:17:43.844: RTMPSockBuf_Fill, recv returned -30848. GetSockError(): 0 (The operation completed successfully.)
00:17:43.844: [rtmp stream: 'simple_stream'] Connection to rtmps://rtmp-api.facebook.com:443/rtmp/ failed: -3

The above is a network issue. OBS is attempting to stream to Facebook and failing because the server does not answer. The log contains some successful attempts that stop after 10 seconds or so with no significant reported frame drops.
So how does that work??? How do you fix something like that

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
-30848 is the error code for MBEDTLS_ERR_SSL_PEER_CLOSE_NOTIFY, which means Facebook has chosen to close the connection. Perhaps you specified an invalid stream key or are not authorized to stream.