Question / Help Best way to Stream & Record on OBS Studio with current PC Specs?

georgeh9897

Hi, everyone. I would like to start streaming regularly with the new PC I just got. Can any experts on streaming or OBS Studio recommend the best settings that will make my stream smooth and as best as possible?

I am also not partnered on Twitch.

What is the best settings I should put to allow me to both Stream AND Record simultaneously (when I have to) so that my stream and recordings will not suffer?

Thanks so much in advance! Here to learn as much as I can about OBS Studio.

Last edited:
720p 30fps at between 2000-2500 kbps for your stream.

For recording you can just use one of the default settings or look at how to set up High Quality recordings here:

https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...lity-recording-and-multiple-audio-tracks.221/

This will unfortunately only give you a 30fps recording. Streaming at 60fps when you are non-partnered is not advisable as the quality ends up being pretty poor or you can't attract viewers. It's also worth having a watch of these videos as you are new

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/full-video-guide-for-obs-studio-and-twitch.377/

georgeh9897

Thank you for the reply.

So even I have a monitor and resolution of 1080p I should put the OBS settings to 720p and 30fps if I'm understanding this right?

Does partnering on Twitch specifically allow you to stream in 60 FPS and 1080p? Without partnering these settings cannot be achieved, correct?

georgeh9897

Here are some pictures of what my OBS settings are if this helps:

http://imgur.com/a/k1g8G

pbL3FoX.png

DXbGQhG.png

yWjSoa1.png

2bT9yuM.png

Sz6eSBv.png

1080p 60fps can't be achieved on Twitch IMHO the bitrate cap of 3500kbps prevents you getting anywhere near good enough quality. People do it though but to my eye as a viewer it's not good. What partnering does is get you transcoding which means you could stream at 3500kbps but then viewers can choose a lower bitrate to suit their internet connection. What you do with 720p 30fps at 2500 is hit a sweet spot with a balance of quality and watchability for people with slower internet.

On your streaming tab rescale to 1280x720
Your recording settings are all wrong look at the first link I posted to see how they should be configured

georgeh9897

1080p 60fps can't be achieved on Twitch IMHO the bitrate cap of 3500kbps prevents you getting anywhere near good enough quality. People do it though but to my eye as a viewer it's not good. What partnering does is get you transcoding which means you could stream at 3500kbps but then viewers can choose a lower bitrate to suit their internet connection. What you do with 720p 30fps at 2500 is hit a sweet spot with a balance of quality and watchability for people with slower internet.

On your streaming tab rescale to 1280x720
Your recording settings are all wrong look at the first link I posted to see how they should be configured

Thank you again for the reply.

I changed my streaming settings to 1280x720 and changed the Bit Rate to 2500. Is this all I should do for the streaming settings?

I will look into the recording settings now. But I have a question. Since I am streaming in 1280x720, will it be possible for me to record with 1080p and 60 FPS when I want to save my videos and upload them to YouTube? Are they completely separate components when you are streaming and recording, or do they share the same exact link?

Nope you can't stream at one frame rate and record at another frame rate currently with OBS Studio, I believe that will come in time. Yes totally separate, the recording is a file on your hard drive which you can then edit and upload to YouTube

georgeh9897

Nope you can't stream at one frame rate and record at another frame rate currently with OBS Studio, I believe that will come in time. Yes totally separate, the recording is a file on your hard drive which you can then edit and upload to YouTube

These are my new Recording settings after reading that guide:

http://imgur.com/a/41Ns7

jfX3EQi.png

aiuj53w.png

Hmm. For some reason I tested recording and it came out extremely laggy and choppy. OBS also said "High CPU encoding" which I'm not sure makes sense since I lowered the recording options. Any idea on what the issue can be?

georgeh9897

Disregard the post above. I had it on 60FPS instead of 30FPS. Changing it to 30FPS fixed the intense lag when recording.

Now I have another issue. There seems to be no audio when I watch my recorded footage? I'm using the standard Movies & TV app on Windows 10. This wasn't the case before.

Here's a pic of my audio settings. Is everything correct here?

95Z4tDL.png

Last edited:

georgeh9897

Now I have a separate question for anyone willing to answer.

What is the best settings to record videos in 60FPs 1080p with best detail and perfect quality? I will have a separate profile and streaming set up specifically designed to record only (no streaming) from OBS Studio.

Learning a lot here thanks to @Adrian Schofield

georgeh9897

Now I have a separate question for anyone willing to answer.

What is the best settings to record videos in 60FPs 1080p with best detail and perfect quality? I will have a separate profile and streaming set up specifically designed to record only (no streaming) from OBS Studio.

Anyone?

The easiest thing to do there is to choose the Simple Output Mode and then in the Recording Quality drop down choose Indistinguishable Quality. Or you could review the article about High Quality recording that I posted a link to for the specific settings if you don;' want to use Simple Mode

TostlebloggerYT

When I record a game and hav ended it. Then I check the video I just recorded. Its way shorter then the time I was recording. for exemple I recprded 3 minutes but later i cjeck the video its 2 minutes. why? plz reply

Hey, I just saw this thread while wondering "can i stream at 720p 30 fps for more people to be able to view while recording at 1080p 60fps so those with better download rates can follow up through the youtube VODs?"

soooo... this quote was from 2016. Is this fixed now? Sure hope so.. :)

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
No, you can stream and record at different resolutions but the frame rate needs to be the same.