Question / Help Best Capture Device for ALL Game Consoles

Hello,

I'm looking to use OBS to capture gameplay from ALL game consoles, from 240p NES to 1080p PS4. What is the best capture device out there that can capture this range of signals?

I just bought the BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle because I figured having a composite-in meant it would capture a composite input, but quickly learned it will not capture signals under 480i, which is a HUGE bummer. Also, BlackMagic doesn't give refunds, so I can't just return it.

So my overall question is: at this point, would it be best for me to purchase an upscaler to get my BlackMagic device to capture the older consoles, or should I resell this device online and find a replacement that can do what I want?

I do have USB3.0 available, but I'll be preferring to play on the TV while the computer captures; the preview doesn't have to be real-time.

Videophile

Elgato
*Plug incoming*

The Game Capture HD from Elgato Gaming should fit your bill perfectly. It can record resolutions all the way down to 240i, and up to 1080p60(30fps recording). All inputs are converted to HDMI when you use the Game Capture HD. It is also well integrated and supported in OBS. The max recording bit rate is 30mbps, which provides for crystal clear 1080p video.

There is a preview window delay of about 1.5-2.0 seconds, but in your post you seem ok with this.

Got anymore questions? Just ask!

-Shrimp

Krazy

Town drunk
I believe the XCapture-1 will handle what you want. I'm not entirely sure about the 240p NES, however. I *believe* it does according to this chart, but I'll be honest I'm relying on google translate here: http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xcapture-1.htm

Anyway, I have an XCapture-1 myself and it handles PS3 capture just fine (unfortunately I don't have an NES to test for you, but I know people who and will edit this post when I find out about the NES), and it has tons of different inputs. Bonus points for being a USB 3.0 device (make sure you have an Intel or Renesas USB 3.0 controller or it won't work) so it will be very high performing and not suffer the audio sync issues that many USB 2.0 devices have. Preview delay is minimal, matter of milliseconds.

Last edited:
I've heard the Elgato is good, but outputting only HDMI concerns me. I don't play my retro systems on an HDTV due to the lag. What I really like about the Intensity Shuttle's design is it has both input AND output for all its supported connection types: HDMI, component, composite, and S-Video, so I could theoretically play on a CRT while recording retro systems, or an HDTV while recording HD systems. If this is the only capture device that has this crucial feature, I think an upscaler may be my best option, but let me know if there's another or an older Elgato model that supports this output.

Sorry if it seems picky, but you just can't play retro systems on an HDTV; the lag is intolerable.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
The XCAPTURE-1 does have passthrough for all inputs, and it does support just about all resolutions between 240p (true 240p for RGB input sources) and 1080p60.

That being said, speaking of upscalers, the Framemeister upscaler (made by the same people who made the XCAPTURE-1) has less than one frame of delay converting 240p composite to 1080p HDMI, so you could definitely play your old console games on an HDTV as well using that, assuming that the LCD itself doesn't have any delay of its own.

The XCAPTURE-1 does have passthrough for all inputs, and it does support just about all resolutions between 240p (true 240p for RGB input sources) and 1080p60.

This is great news. At this point, I'm sold on the idea of reselling my BMI Shuttle, and the XCAPTURE-1 sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all your help, guys.

I found this article that compares them pretty well. http://www.sixfortyfive.com/streaming/xcapture1.html

Sixfortyfive

That being said, speaking of upscalers, the Framemeister upscaler (made by the same people who made the XCAPTURE-1) has less than one frame of delay converting 240p composite to 1080p HDMI, so you could definitely play your old console games on an HDTV as well using that, assuming that the LCD itself doesn't have any delay of its own.
The most reputable source for all things Micomsoft states that the Framemeister lags by about 1.5 frames at all times, no matter what. HDTVs add a minimum of 1 extra frame of lag, often times more. So at a best case scenario, you're looking at at least 2.5 frames of lag compared to a CRT.

That's fine for some, but if you prioritize input lag, then the Framemeister is a poor choice. It's why I bought an XRGB-3 instead, which at least has a lag-free 480p mode and can connect to my VGA CRT monitor.

Visoman

I have read that the XCAPTURE-1 will get your pc running pretty hard, is it safe for streaming old games for hours on end? Also a side question. I have the Elgato and I have my sega genesis hooked up by a scart cable to a HD video converter, Scart/HDMI 70p/1080p then the out is hdmi cord to the in of the elgato. The image is amazing, but sadly when streaming the Elgato has so many audio sync problems, I might as well fork over the money for the XCAPTURE-1 . Will I still be able to use the scart /hdmi converter?

paibox

heros in an halfshel
The high CPU usage was a bug on certain systems running Windows 8, it otherwise doesn't use a lot of CPU to capture video at all. The device supports pretty much any resolution and frame rate you can throw at it, I have trouble believing that your SCART->HDMI converter wouldn't work with it if it works with the Elgato.

So to make sure I have the right cables when I get the XCapture:

If I'm recording Wii at 480p, would it be possible to use S-video in and out? I already have a 3-tail RCA Component to S-Video converter, but I only ever see D-Sub mentioned for component compatibility. Even better would be the ability to use the S-Video in and the RGB-out ports for a 480p signal.

Last edited:

paibox

heros in an halfshel
S-Video and composite are SD formats, they only support a maximum of 480i. Also it's not D-Sub for component compatibility, it's D-Terminal, which is the connector commonly used in Japan for component video, Solaris Japan sells adapters for this connector.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
I'm sorry, I don't know if it supports component video input over the VGA port, you will have to test it yourself.
Please understand that D-Sub and D-Terminal are not the same thing, component video input and output is designed to be done over D-Terminal (Japanese component video connector), not over D-Sub (VGA).

It might work, it also might not. All you can do is test it yourself.

FerretBomb

I'd also recommend taking a look at the Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI.

Actual 1080p@60 capture (unlike an LG HD and their weasel-phrasing), plus the literature says it can capture down to 144p. HDMI, DVI, Component, S-Video, Composite inputs (no d-terminal or SCART, though it will accept d-sub 15 (VGA) via adapter to the DVI port). Removable passthrough daughterboard. Fast enough capture in RGB24/32 mode on the newest drivers that I'm able to play demanding rhythm games via the OBS preview projector (bit.trip runner 2 PS3, amplitude PS2, frequency PS2) though a couple DO require anticipation. And that's with DirectShow in the way. If we get a native source plugin... well. I'm hoping for that to happen. Internal PCIe 1x 2.0 card. None of the incompatability dances or headaches of dealing with a USB 3.0 device and whether you have the right chipset to work with the device you want to use.

~$330 well-spent, over at Solaris Japan. There's a reason they sell out within a few weeks of getting new batches in stock every time they get more... I'm really, REALLY happy with mine; blows the living crap out of any other capture device I've used previously (though I haven't used a Datapath VisionRGB, I think the number of inputs and passthrough still have the SC-512 coming out on top). The only thing it's lacking is on-board HDCP stripping.
http://www.solarisjapan.com/sc-512n1-l-dvi-component-hd-and-dvi-capture-board/?setCurrencyId=1

Only annoyance I've had is some minor delay after switching resolutions (PS3 going into a game). Changing to another scene and back (with the SC-512 NOT set up as a global source, so forcing a re-init) fixes it, and returns it to sub-300ms capture speeds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations!! I ordered my XCAPTURE-1 today. It's a plunge, but I've been having a blast streaming PC games using OBS, so I can't wait to get started with consoles!

FerretBomb

Just be careful, the XCAPTURE-1 does require one of a few USB 3.0 chipsets to work properly... as is the case with most USB 3.0 devices, it seems. 'Universal' is a bit of a stretch with some of the non-compliant (or just super cheap and shitty) chipsets being tossed in by some manufacturers.

snn47

Using different search phrases I just found this thread commenting on the USB 3.0 requirements of the xcapture or blackmagic. From what I found oth require a NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller for the USB3.0 in order to work.

Does any owner of use these capture cards sucessfully with an expresscard NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller?

Unlike my older 8560p HP notebook, which still had NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller, the new zBooks now have USB 3.0 integrated in the intel chipset. Therefor the only option would be expresscard NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller, but I wonders if using an expresscard will generate additional problems.

snn47

Does anyone know the SKY-CXHDMIU6 http://www.skyok.co.jp/product.php?code=617

Supports HDMI up to 2048x1048p/60 and free resolution/free frame rate. The price is around 300 € (xcapture1 ~270€) at rakuten http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/akiba/item/ad0000025963210/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

supercastU6_JP_3_02.gif