Question / Help bad audio quality in recordings

Hey so I'm not exactly a know it all in computers but Iv ben using obs studio for past 2 months. I broke my headset and got a new one (Logitech g633) but since iv ben using it my recordings have ben coming out with bad audio quality(especially gunshots) and it seems a bit laggy it sounds almost as if I'm recording my tv with a phone. My mic is fine and quality is perfect regardless of the game audio. iv tried multiple things tweakt settings in obs etc etc... basically I haven't ben able to find a fix for this for the past 2 weeks and still haven't found someone with a similar issue. I'm using windows 10 and 64 bit obs studio but nothings changed iv even tried running it as administrator to no avail. hoping making this post will get me some help.

-Here's an example clip of the recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjdhRSLFrQ

-Log file: https://gist.github.com/fabdc254b1c4223e5998fa5df64a9b99

EBrito

A log after a recording shows what issues you had and helps taking decsions to improve recording.

Open OBS, record for a couple of minutes.
Close OBS
Open OBS, post LAST log.

EBrito

Watching and hearing your video, I´m thinking that maybe you are improving sound via ecaulization or any other effect.
When you here agian yur own footage, you redo that improvement, This produces bad sound , echoes and some reverberance.

If you do it, reproduce your video disabling those improvemente and you will hear the seam sund you was hearing when recording.

Maybe this is what is happening.

EBrito

18:45:15.498: WASAPI: Device 'Speakers (Logitech G633 Gaming Headset)' initialized

19:09:17.284: Output 'simple_file_output': Number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 3 (0.0%)
19:09:17.284: Output 'simple_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 3188 (7.4%)

To avoid rendering lags, reduce ingame graphics to leave a little more room for OBS.

About audio: no problems in log
I think what happens is what I explained
You hear via G633 with audio improvements, and watching your own videos produce a second improvement that causes bad audio.

Reproduce your video and use a pair of simple headphones attached in motherboard's jack. You will hear more or less the same as when recording , via your G633.

I'm not sure if I understand because iv listened to the recordings without my headset using only my speakers (without enhancements) but it still sounds this way. I'm worried its because my headset has surround sound. because when I switch and use my old headset with the broken mic the audio comes out fine in the recording.

so if I understand I should try obs studio?
edit: I lookt at the forum. and by what I understand I haf to disable my surround sound for recording to come out good

Last edited:
update: ty SO match I simply turned off surround sound and it works I had tried this before but it din't work but now it does :D ty for answering so fast you are a great person .

EBrito

You can record with surround sound on.So, everybody will hear your recording the same as you hear it live.
But, when checking your own footage, turn off surround to avoid bad sund.

CookieMaker

This is an old thread from 2017, but it came up on my search for this issue so I'm leaving this info here. I hope it will help others. My recordings sounded muddy when I played it back and I thought it was my OBS settings so I tried various things with no improvement. As it turns out it was not OBS but Windows settings. I am on Windows 10 Pro. I found this article from May 2020 and followed the instructions to uncheck the signal enhancement box in speakers/headphones, advanced tab. My version of Windows looks a little different from what's pictured in the article but I was able to follow the instructions and it worked, no more muddy sound!

Summary from article:
How to Fix the Bad Muffled Audio Issue in OBS on Windows (May, 2020)
  1. Open your Control Panel and go to the Hardware and Sound section.
  2. In this Sound section, click the Manage Audio Devices option. That will open a new window.
  3. In the Playback tab, select the Speakers/Headphones audio device and then click the Properties button. *If you are experiencing the same issue, this will be your default and it will be the system audio
  4. In the Speakers/Headphones window, click the Advanced tab.
  5. Here you can find the Signal Enhancement option (near the bottom) which “allows extra signal processing by the audio device”.
  6. Un-check that and that’s all you need to do.

iholland

I am having the same problem of muddy muffled sound described here. I verified the "signal enhancement" options are correct.
Video of a music performance is played in OBS - the sound through OBS live is fine ... the sound captured in both the recording from OBS and the stream sent via VBCable to Zoom is boomy on the low end, and dull on the high end. Any thoughts on how to clean this up and get the same sound out as goes in? Audio setting is mono. Bitrate is 360. quality is 'indistinguishable'.

iholland

Thank you! I appreciate the info and advice.
I was able to get a good result by:
1. changing from VB Cable to VB HiFi Cable.
2. I changed OBS sound to 44.1 kHz and set HiFi Cable to match. (For some reason 48 kHz produced unwanted noise?)
3. I verified the output from OBS first by sending the monitor audio to Audacity, recording the track and comparing to the original.
4. Then I set the VB HiFi Cable Output as the Zoom microphone.
5. And used the Zoom client audio setting of "use original sound' with 'stereo' and 'high fidelity' options - but not "echo cancellation".

To test:
With a second pc running the Zoom client, I captured its audio into Audacity and compared the result with a track recording of the same video shared with Zoom's screen sharing (with "use computer sound" and "optimized for video clip" options). Both recorded client tracks were identical - no more muffled sound in the OBS sourced version!

So I am delighted to be able to use OBS to design, organize, and drive a program of mixed live and recorded video content (with music) through Zoom to remote attendees - with a client audio experience (as good as/no-worse than) the native Zoom mechanisms.

Peace

JRMoore

Hi there, I registered just because I was experiencing this in my laptop and while I didn't get to the root of it (no access to the DSP code) I located the issue in the audio drivers it ships with.

@Vegandelight's answer above was on point too, if you disable the ability for audio DSPs stemming from the audio card drivers you get "clean" or unaltered audio. In my case, because I was using its built in ALC255 by Realtek I opened the audio console and disabled audio processing there under Speakers. It's a cheap-ish laptop so there's no name-brand thing like Nahimic, MaxxAudio, … it was just Acer's TrueHarmony, but it was enough to mess things up.

If your device has any other DSP you probably won't have Realtek's audio console installed since the brand-name one would be there in its place, try checking for audio processing there.

Troubleshooting for me only took about 40 mins and I was already under the impression audio bitrate wasn't being taken into account, but logs showed it was and there were no extra filters being applied by OBS, so it had to be elsewhere.

Miecz

Thank you! I appreciate the info and advice.
I was able to get a good result by:
1. changing from VB Cable to VB HiFi Cable.
2. I changed OBS sound to 44.1 kHz and set HiFi Cable to match. (For some reason 48 kHz produced unwanted noise?)
3. I verified the output from OBS first by sending the monitor audio to Audacity, recording the track and comparing to the original.
4. Then I set the VB HiFi Cable Output as the Zoom microphone.
5. And used the Zoom client audio setting of "use original sound' with 'stereo' and 'high fidelity' options - but not "echo cancellation".

To test:
With a second pc running the Zoom client, I captured its audio into Audacity and compared the result with a track recording of the same video shared with Zoom's screen sharing (with "use computer sound" and "optimized for video clip" options). Both recorded client tracks were identical - no more muffled sound in the OBS sourced version!

So I am delighted to be able to use OBS to design, organize, and drive a program of mixed live and recorded video content (with music) through Zoom to remote attendees - with a client audio experience (as good as/no-worse than) the native Zoom mechanisms.

Peace
Hello, could you explain to me how do i set my vb cable to vb hifi cable? i have same issues and i have no idea what i have to do to fix it