Question / Help Audio stutters when using webcam.

Razor457

Final Edit: It seems OBS working with cubase it hates it, you put the webcam on and it just stutters like mad. However if I take a direct line in from my interface in OBS as the mic source the stutter isn't there anymore. It just seems to hate using cubase to clean up audio so i'll have to go with dry signal for now unless someone has any other ideas.

EDIT: SEMI FIXED, see bottom edit for information to what fixed the stuttering however it's still occurring occasionally. Also to make clear I think this is a bug, because yes it could be it's overworking my CPU. But I was streaming battlefield 4 other week with my webcam on 1080p no problems. Also loading up games whilst stuttering was occuring seemed to make stuttering less severe which is weird it was caused by cpu overloading? why would a game IMPROVE stuttering?

I installed OBS again and this time deleted all preferences etc and now the stuttering has almost gone completely gone even when webcam is at 1080p but it still occurs once every 10-15 seconds which i'm afraid is still too distracting.

Edit: Also here is the log file I uploaded to paste bin. This is the latest log file taken when I tried to reset everything up to ensure it's all correct, problem still persists. http://pastebin.com/c0xn7pDL

Hi guys, made a previous thread but thought i'd do some testing and clarify the problem as it's a little weird.

Ok here we go i'll try keep it clear and brief.

My current set up I'm using an audio interface (Steinberg mr816x connected via texas instruments firewire card) and a condenser (AKG C414) as my microphone and logitech c920 pro webcam. I then send the audio through cubase and apply some EQ,Compression etc and sent it back out of my interface output into the Line in of my sound card (Creative X-fi) and set up OBS to use my line in as mic input. The microphone works perfectly and sounds great and I've tested it playing Day Z and it all checks out works fine (Odd audio stutter happens in game but not very often?).

The problem came when I tried to skype my friend, basically the audio from him completely stutters as freezes almost like my PC is lagging out. This only happens when my webcam is turned on in OBS, as soon as I turn it off the stutter completely goes away and my audio doesn't lag out. I tried teamspeak too same problem, I then also thought I better try normal audio like you tube that also goes mad and stutters it just seems in general any audio aisde the game i'm playing goes to crapp.

Now here is the weird part, If I load up a game (day z) and then I maximise the game while talking to my friend the audio stutter decreases greatly, it's still regular but at least semi listenable? it doesn't just completely stutter and lag out into oblivion, which seems completely strange to me. It makes no damn sense LOL. (because it sounds like the pc is struggling but it's obviously not if a game helps to semi remedy the problem...). Is it my webcam just overloading my motherboards peripheral bandwidth (if that is even a thing?) or something? it's just when webcam comes on boom, audio stutters like mad but it doesn't do it in a game though. I've tried lowering audio quality to lowest and webcam quality to low still doesn't help at all. Changed my buffer size on interface up that made no difference either.

I've tried to set up all the right devices as default etc, set all audio bitrates to same amount, disabled other sound devices i'm not using disabled the webcam microphone so it doesn't conflict etc etc. Still no avail. It just kind of seems like 2 devices are "fighting" to play sound and it's causing stuttering, perhaps one application taking exclusive control of the sound output or something and then youtube / skype other audio trying to use a different output i'm not sure. I've double checked all of this to ensure things are using the devices they are supposed too. My interface is my default audio output device and the line in on my creative sound card is default input devices (However I made sure to select all of these devices manually in OBS and assign them correctly).

Anyone pretty please help? hope someone has some insight.

HUGE HUGE HUGE MAHASOOOOOOOOOVE! thanks in advance if anyone can see any problems / suggestions / help me out. I've literally been pulling my hair out lol.

Cheers

Edit: OK so I disabled my condenser mic entirely and just tried to go back to using just the webcam mic as my input (this worked previously I was playing battlefield 4 with a friend a week or so ago on skype and had my webcam up on the stream / was using the webcam as my mic before I set up the condenser. So it's clear it's nothing to do with my interface/condensor (I was using it as my output previously too just not to record)

So the only things i've changed is added in my soundcard (To use the quality line in) and then used the mic. But without the mic the stuttering is still happening when the webcam is added. However I make sure in audio settings to disable the soundcard output and other inputs that I am not using. Next step I guess is to remove the soundcard and see if the webcam still causes stutter.

Edit2: Ok disabled the soundcard in devices menu, stutter is still occuring. I am now officially raged lol.... this is entirely to do with the webcam doing something weird? I've tried reinstalling it too but I guess I can try again. I'll keep trying things until someone comes along with some insight.

Edit3: Ok what fixed the problem was downscaling the webcam size within OBS, I enabled custom resolution and wacked it down and stutter is gone....... However just the other week my webcam was set at 1080p and streaming battlefield 4 without a hitch. So what has happened? there has been an OBS update I know so could that have introduced a bug? can I go back to an older OBS version? this was about 2-3 weeks so I think there has been 1 update since then. I have to jam the webcam down REALLLLLLLY low to get rid of stutter too 640x360 to be precise... and I still get odd stutter every 45 seconds or so. Something is seriously not right here... I just need to rollback versions I think and go from there. I still get stutter like every minute or so.

Last edited: