Question / Help Audio output capture (i.e. Loopback) issue(s)

plzhalp

What the hell am I doing wrong that I am unable to bring in audio with Loopback from Chrome or Skype into my OBS/YouTube stream? I downloaded WavTap as that has a dedicated, pinned thread in this forum but apparently that is no longer supported(?). Anyhow, several dropdown menus in these apps provide no option and I'm spinning my wheels so any help is appreciated.

Objective: A YouTube show with 2 hosts. I am connected via Thunderbolt (we're all squared here, audio and video are great). Co-host connected via live audio from Google Voice (ideally wanted Skype but that failed)

On my MacBook Pro 2012
> Output device: 'Loopback Audio'
Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 1.58.02 PM.png

In Loopback app
> Create Virtual Device: 'Loopback Audio' (Chrome). Default settings with 'mute audio sources' box checked, 'monitor audio through' box checked with 'built-in output' as the selection
Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 1.51.48 PM.png

In OBS settings/preferences
> Audio>Desktop Audio Device (disabled). I cannot change this, there is no other option
> Audio>Mic/auxillary Audio Device (Loopback Audio)
Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 1.52.25 PM.png

In OBS sources
>Add>Audio Output Capture...the device dropdown is blank and has no options

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 1.53.44 PM.png

Narcogen

So you added a source and then muted it. Why bother adding as a source if you're going to mute it?

I haven't tried using Loopback with Google Voice and I don't use Skype anymore, but I bet it would work with Skype.

Set Skype to use your LoopBack Audio virtual device as its output, and then add that device as a source in your OBS scene.

You will also need to add your microphone separately, as Skype will only be sending its output to this device.

In my experience, don't use the Audio pane in OBS; add explicit sources to scenes. This always makes it clear what you've got in your scene for sources.

You also want to add it as an audio input source; if you try to add a source and nothing shows up on the dropdown, you probably chose Audio Output source instead.

Also, check and make sure that all your devices in Midi Setup are set to the same sample rate, and that OBS also uses that sample rate. Choose 44.1 or 48Mhz, don't mix. If you've got one device that can only use a specific sample rate, set everything else to use that rate, including OBS.

plzhalp

So you added a source and then muted it. Why bother adding as a source if you're going to mute it?

Touche -- I would figure cottage, hyper-specific audio software wouldn't self-sabotage itself and default to a true 'mute' but noted.

Set Skype to use your LoopBack Audio virtual device as its output, and then add that device as a source in your OBS scene.

I have Skype as the 'Source' for "Loopback Audio 2" in Loopback.
Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 7.53.05 PM.png

In Skype, there isn't explicit input/output options but I have speakers set to "Loopback Audio 2"
Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 7.24.27 PM.png

You will also need to add your microphone separately, as Skype will only be sending its output to this device.

My mic is an XLR stick mic that is plugged into my JVC GY-100 -- that rig is plugged into a BlackMagic box via Thunderbolt -- when we did our test I was coming in loud and clear so I think I'm good there. In scenes with me on camera, I only have "Blackmagic Device" -- not a separate audio and video scene (both the audio and video are going into the Blackmagic device so I shouldnt need to split them, right?)

You also want to add it as an audio input source; if you try to add a source and nothing shows up on the dropdown, you probably chose Audio Output source instead.

A-ha! This may be the rub. In my post above I showed I was trying to add a "Audio OUTPUT Capture" and there were no options. In my search on the forum I kept seeing people saying add a Audio OUTPUT Capture.

Also, check and make sure that all your devices in Midi Setup are set to the same sample rate, and that OBS also uses that sample rate. Choose 44.1 or 48Mhz, don't mix. If you've got one device that can only use a specific sample rate, set everything else to use that rate, including OBS.

There's no menu in the JVC camera to adjust audio sample rate, same for Skype and Loopback.

In sum -- this is how things currently look. Does this seem correct? In the second screenshot below, "Audio Input Capture" is set to "Loopback Audio 2" and when you click on the gear wheel next to mic/aux it comes up "Loopback Audio 2".

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 7.41.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 7.47.36 PM.png

plzhalp

That was a lot -- I apologize.

Just did a test with my friends and I got it working! Inbox me your Venmo or PayPal.

One last thing though -- I patched my friend in on Google Voice and he didnt hear me thru the XLR mic but rather my built-in, internal MacBook mic. Do I need to change my MacBook input settings to "Blackmagic device" as well (and then do the same on Skype if I'm bringing in a co-host on Skype).

Also, there was feedback/echo while my friend talked as his audio was coming thru my internal speakers and then obviously going back out my internal mic. Is that something I clean up in the scenes and sources or are those MacBook and Loopback settings I need to straighten out....or I guess I using headphones would work too?

Narcogen

You pretty much have to use headphones for these scenarios, yes. If your mic is very directional you can sometimes get away with using speakers, but it's not ideal.

Can GV not set an arbitrary input device? You might also create another virtual device in LoopBack, add both your microphone and the output of Skype, and set that as the input for GV.

plzhalp

You pretty much have to use headphones for these scenarios, yes. If your mic is very directional you can sometimes get away with using speakers, but it's not ideal.

Can GV not set an arbitrary input device? You might also create another virtual device in LoopBack, add both your microphone and the output of Skype, and set that as the input for GV.

Took me awhile to realize GV is Google Voice, ha. We actually were using Google Hangouts to connect for a voice call, is there a marked difference?

New issue is my co-host, whether we tried Skype or Google Voice, could not hear me through my XLR mic which is plugged into the JVC camera (which is plugged into BlackMagic/Thunderbolt). We did a test stream this morning and I would tap the stick mic and my boss who was tuning in on YouTube said he could hear the direct mic taps (good news) but my co-host only heard me thru the internal/built-in laptop mic (bad news). So somehow my XLR mic is going out over the stream but not to my co-host whom I'm communicating with via Google Hangouts or Skype.

I changed the Skype input to "Intensity Thunderbolt" as well as in the general audio settings on my MacBook but to no avail -- I did so on the fly, though. Is that something I need to change before firing up the programs and the stream? And lastly when using Skype my boss did mention both of our audio (myself and the co-host) would echo/repeat about 3 seconds after we started talking; wasn't a problem on Google Hangouts though but ideally we want to use Skype for the video aspect.

P.S. you're a saint.

Narcogen

You don't want to set Skype's input to be your capture card, you want it to be your XLR microphone, no? I think you probably need an actual USB audio interface rather than connecting it through the camera.

The problem may be device exclusivity-- that OBS is capturing the Blackmagic interface, and therefore Skype can't access it.

plzhalp

Makes sense. Though I wonder if I'll have lip sync issues if I run the audio thru a separate device? Ultimately a minor thing though -- I viewed the replay of our test and it didn't sound funky with me communicating to my co-host on the internal mic and the XLR to the viewers so that's encouraging.

And hey ironically enough, figured out the echo/repeat issue....I was noodling around and unchecked the 'mute sources' box, ha. Turns out you do want to 'mute source'. Crazy

Think we're pretty set, other than Skype video not coming over but that's for another day. You've been a tremendous help @Narcogen -- I was serious, inbox me if you have a Venmo or PayPal, I appreciate the assistance.