Question / Help Audio Lagging

Nicolas Garcia

Hey guys,

So I'm having issues with the audio on a Facebook LIVE. I've tried several different solutions posted here and, while some did offer some relief, the audio still lags just by a hair.

I'm wondering if you guys have any feedback on what could be causing this issue. I'm set up in the following way:
  • A Canon 5D Mk IV DSLR run through an HDMI cable to the BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder connected to a Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM.
    • Audio is recorded using a Sony UTX-B03 Wireless Lavalier Microphone hooked up to the DSLR (audio sounds synced and balanced on OBS and Camera)
  • OBS runs at 29.97FPS which is synced to the DSLR and the Mini Recorder at same frame rate.
  • Internet connection runs through Ethernet cable at speeds of up to 100mb/s

I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting as well:
  • Lowered output resolution
  • added audio delays
  • Changed frame rates
While the audio did have some improvement to our earlier tests, it's still unsynchronized just by a hair.
One observation, some colleagues mentioned they caught the LIVE tests and noticed the audio synced, but then "unsynced" when playing back in VOD version.
  • Is the setup wrong? How can it be improved?
  • How can I improve
I will have another test at 11:30 AM ET. I will send you guys an email prior if you so wish to take a look.
I appreciate any feedback and/or help you guys can offer.

Here's the logfile my last test: https://gist.github.com/a491ca8396b01189503f38259968eb04

Much appreciated,
Nick Garcia