Question / Help Audio dropouts when capturing from Nintendo Switch

mezzanine224

This is a strange one for me. Any ideas why or what I can do?

I've streamed and captured from Xbox One for over a year now and have never had any issues. But now when capturing Nintendo Switch (with the same settings) I'm getting a 1-2 frame audio dropout every 5 seconds or so.

It's not limited to OBS, I used other capturing software and got the same results.

XBOX One - No audio dropouts...1080p, 60fps capture

Nintendo Switch - Brief audio dropouts, NO video dropout, 1080p, 60fps

I'm using a Magewell USB 3.0 device (http://www.magewell.com/usb-capture-hdmi). Capturing to a MacBook pro.

I'll figure out how to get some logs, but wanted to see if anyone had initial thoughts.

(Note: I just tried a Black Magic Intensity Thunderbolt and had the same results @ 720p)

mezzanine224

Audio waveforms.

One nintendo (with audio drop outs visible in the wave form)
nintendo.jpg

One Xbox (with no audio dropouts visible).
xbox.jpg

Narcogen

Would need to see a log of a streaming/recording attempt where the issue occurs-- the one you posted is only a startup log.

Narcogen

Looks like OBS is losing connection to the audio on your Magewell.

08:38:13.654: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 21 milliseconds
08:38:13.776: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 42 milliseconds
08:38:16.510: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 64 milliseconds
08:38:17.076: adding 42 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 106 milliseconds
08:38:17.098: adding 42 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 149 milliseconds
08:55:07.698: coreaudio: device 'XI100DUSB-HDMI Audio' disconnected or changed. attempting to reconnect
08:55:07.710: Magewell: Device with unique ID '0x114000029350001' disconnected
08:55:18.386: Magewell: Device with unique ID '0x114000029350001' connected, resuming capture
08:55:18.386: Magewell: Selected device 'XI100DUSB-HDMI #4'
08:55:18.386: Magewell: Using preset High
08:55:19.733: coreaudio: device 'XI100DUSB-HDMI Audio' initialized
08:56:21.557: rtmp-common.c: [initialize_output] Could not find service ''​

mezzanine224

Is there a setting I can adjust to compensate? Also, any idea why there would be a difference between inputs (XB1/Switch)? Thank you.

Narcogen

Afraid not. I'm not familiar with either the Switch or the Magewell. In Audio MIDI Setup, what are the settings for the Magewell as an audio device? Do they match what you've set for audio in OBS?

mezzanine224

Yeah it matches in Audio Midi setup, 48 kHz, 2 channels.
I'm going to email Magewell to see if they know what's up. Thanks.

mezzanine224

Here's a log from an Xbox One capture. I don't see those same disconnection issues, do you?

Attachments

• 2018-01-13 12-05-17.txt
    9.5 KB · Views: 5

Narcogen

Nope, they're not there. Looks like something different definitely happening when connected to the Switch.

FreeKillZero

What is the audio setting on the Nintendo Switch? Have you tried forcing Stereo or Surround?

I know there were some issues early on (in general, not necessarily with Magewell/OBS) with the Switch set to Auto.

mezzanine224

So I did a full reset.

I unhooked everything (HDMI cables, splitter, capture card, USB, hub, etc.) and reconnected it all.

I checked all the settings on both consoles (made sure Switch wasn't forcing surround sound), updated and checked all the settings on OBS.

Whatever it was seems to be a lot better.

This makes me think it was a hardware issue. Most likely the cheap HDMI splitter. It's still odd that the Xbox doesn't seem to drop frames no matter what port on the splitter it is connected to (#1 or #2). But the Switch performs better when it's connected to port #1 on the splitter.

I'm going to keep tweaking and checking, but just wanted to update in case anyone googling stumbled on this thread. Thanks for the time and advice from you guys here.

Narcogen

You can absolutely run into splitter weirdness on the Xbox One. For instance (don't do this) launch a video app that plays protected content and most likely any HDCP compliant devices connected to the splitter are going to stop receiving video until you power down the console. :)