Question / Help Audio bitrate always recorded lower then what I set

Roy777

Hello friends,

I'm trying to record through OBS in 44.1KHz and 192kbps. I always seems to get values between 144kbps and 159kbps when I check in the properties of the file in windows.

I have set all tracks on the output-> Audio tab to 192kbps just to be sure
and cleared the check box from the output-> streaming page for "Enforce streaming encoder settings" if it matters.

What can be wrong?

Thank you,

Roy.

rockbottom

Check the file(s) with Media Tab or even with VLC (Tools > Codec Information). Both will report the bit-rate correctly & more than likely the results will be slightly different from what you're seeing w/Windows.

Roy777

Check the file(s) with Media Tab or even with VLC (Tools > Codec Information). Both will report the bit-rate correctly & more than likely the results will be slightly different from what you're seeing w/Windows.

Thanks for your reply and for telling me about Media Tab :) I couldn't see the bitrate in VLC, it only shows me the sample rate.

But this is what I get with Media Tab:

File bitrate.PNG

So why the audio bit rate mode is Variable? can it be fixed on 192kbps?

Thanks a lot,

Roy.

rockbottom

Not really sure, the audio has always been CBR in all of my OBS recordings.

Are you using a custom encoder?

If you can post a log with a recording session, I'll take a look for ya.

Roy777

Not really sure, the audio has always been CBR in all of my OBS recordings.

Are you using a custom encoder?

If you can post a log with a recording session, I'll take a look for ya.

Thanks a lot, you've nailed it :) I was using an ASIO plugin to use with my audio interface as I got a slight delay using OBS without it, but apparently it sets the bitrate to be variable. I've tested and using a mic going straight to the PC audio input- I do get a constant 192kbps, so it's definitely it. I do want to use my audio interface with real time live monitoring so.. more messing around with ASIO plugins and other software I guess. If you happen to have any idea about that I'll be happy to know.. Thanks a lot again :)

rockbottom

Cool, YW!

When I get a chance I'll install the plug-in & see what happens with my Asus Xonar STX. I already have the ASIO driver installed for it for other apps I use but never had a reason to go that route with OBS.

Roy777

Cool, YW!

When I get a chance I'll install the plug-in & see what happens with my Asus Xonar STX. I already have the ASIO driver installed for it for other apps I use but never had a reason to go that route with OBS.

Thanks so much :) but now I'm not sure it's related to the ASIO plug-in at all, I think it's something about some of the VST 2.0 plug-ins, whenever some are activated the audio stream is set as variable and when they are all off it's constant.. weird.. but still testing :)

Thanks again.