Question / Help Amd TR2 2900wx

Pewpau

Hi recently upgraded from my AMD Threadripper 16/32 having no issues at streaming 1080p on slow preset but I always go 960p.

Here's the issue, i recently upgraded to a TR2 2900wx to better the quality and lower the preset to atleast slower or slowest but i seem to be having frame drop stuttering problems on the stream even on my old settings mah ot be on SLOBS or OBS

Not my ISP
Not the streaming servers

Cpu usage doesn't go more than 35%

Any suggestion or is it due to another AMD immature bios?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

shaolin

Video encoding does not seem to be a good use case for Threadripper 2.
That is not true.

On Hardware: TR builds are impacted by memory freq and timings. Are you running on fast memories?

On OS: Windows is just bad at scheduling. There is that. I myself using a 2700X can do 1080p@medium and a TR 1950x 1080p@slow on Linux (0 rendering/encoding lag) and Windows (some rendering/encoding lag)

On Encoder: x264 wont use optimally more then ~27 threads or so for (1080p / 40 lines per thread) so you will start to have worse quality (that might or not be compensated by increased bitrate). At this point you will have to consider per core clock speeds. 1080p60 isn't memory intensive enough to cause problems here.

koala

It would be nice if it were not true. If it is not true, please give the thread creator directions on how to get more than 30-35% CPU usage on the Threadripper 2 with OBS and x264 encoding. Not in theory, but actually. What configuration items should he set to which values in OBS and in Windows to get it?

Pewpau

That is not true.

On Hardware: TR builds are impacted by memory freq and timings. Are you running on fast memories?

On OS: Windows is just bad at scheduling. There is that. I myself using a 2700X can do 1080p@medium and a TR 1950x 1080p@slow on Linux (0 rendering/encoding lag) and Windows (some rendering/encoding lag)

On Encoder: x264 wont use optimally more then ~27 threads or so for (1080p / 40 lines per thread) so you will start to have worse quality (that might or not be compensated by increased bitrate). At this point you will have to consider per core clock speeds. 1080p60 isn't memory intensive enough to cause problems here.

Yeah, i am running on fast memories. Is there a fix for this or force the cpu to use most of the cores and threads for OBS?

here's the full spec of the desk:
AMD Ryzen Treadripper 1950X upgraded to 2990wx
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Tr4 x399
x1 Nvidia Titan Xp
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1 TB
128 GB Gskill Tridentz 16 gbx4 Ddr4-3200mhz
Custom indesk Pc case by Badvolf "Bv Volchara" dual system desk Pc
Corsair AX 1500i Titanium

Last edited:

yanis31

- ideal test scenario would be under Linux and with SMT disabled (or atleast a comparison with smt on/off - having smt on if you aren't even using all your physical cores is a complete waste, give it pure cores only)
- this will work under a 2pc setup and if you have a capture card that has linux drivers and support to make it work.

I doubt the TR memory controller is capable of running 128GB ram at the best speeds, you probably have a higher latency than you could achieve with only 4 sticks/up to 32GB (depends on the particular memory) - doubt this has a big impact here however.
- also make sure you have the power limits .. "cool n' quiet" etc. disabled in bios, i would try to overclock the cpu to around 4ghz or so atleast for best results, but keep in mind you will possibly fry your asus "8 phase vrm" motherboard if you manage to give all cores a full load at those clocks, the MSI 16 phase x399 MEG CREATION is great for this. i wouldn't worry about it too much in a stream scenario though if you're getting around half the load - shouldn't overheat it but be cautious

Last edited:

ethaniel

Yeah, i am running on fast memories. Is there a fix for this or force the cpu to use most of the cores and threads for OBS?

here's the full spec of the desk:
AMD Ryzen Treadripper 1950X upgraded to 2990wx
Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Tr4 x399
x1 Nvidia Titan Xp
Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1 TB
128 GB Gskill Tridentz 16 gbx4 Ddr4-3200mhz
Custom indesk Pc case by Badvolf "Bv Volchara" dual system desk Pc
Corsair AX 1500i Titanium

I know this is an old thread, but did you end up trying running Threadripper 2990wx on linux? I want to get this CPU but am worried about encoding problems.