Question / Help 4k Recording in OBS?

Marcus

So I recently acquired a 4k gaming monitor and would like to record 3840x2160 resolution. However, every time I try to record anything higher than 1920x1080, no video records at all. I get audio, but no video. I was wondering if there is something I can do to remedy that. I've tried just about every setting there is to try. If you have something in mind, please let me know.

Marcus

If you need other information, let me know. Log is in document.

Attachments

• OBS Logs.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,089

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Are you planning on streaming at 4k, or locally recording?

Your CPU is kind of dying trying to record at that resolution and x264 CPU preset, and your bit rate is much too low for that. You will also need to change your x264 profile to high.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Hmm, just did a quick test and it worked just fine as expected.Just to make sure, you see everything fine in the preview of OBS and its just the video that is black later?
If so, which video player did you use? I would recommend to try it with VLC Media Player or Media Player Classic.

Marcus

Made sure I was getting a preview of the game, and no success. I'm currently using Windows media player to attempt to play back the files, which are being recorded as an MP4, still no luck.

For clarification, after finishing the recording, the thumbnail of the video never appears, and it has a music symbol, for the thumbnail, telling me that it's audio only. Will try with VLC player and update.

EDIT:
Super surprising that the VLC player actually played my file. Any idea as to why that is?

Marcus

VLC Player played the file correctly, however, it is the only program able to do so. I tried to import into video editing software, and the software assumes there is no video, or that it is corrupt, just like windows media player did.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
For Video editing software you should activate CFR in the advanced settings. Without CFR I got a blackscreen in Windows Media Player, with CFR on my video works in all video players/editors I have ;D

Boildown

You need to follow the advice given to you on bitrate (set it to 20000 for starters), and set your recording framerate to 30 instead of 31, in addition to setting CFR to on.

What other things are you doing on your CPU besides OBS? I.e., what game are you playing and what else are you running? I'd expect x264 on Ultrafast to be able to handle 4k video better than what your logs say is actually happening.

Whenever you test, record five minutes of the highest action video you will encounter in your game. You want to test versus worst-case-scenarios and you want it to be statistically significant. Your logs show records of only a few seconds in length, which makes me discount them somewhat.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Why exactly should he set his bitrate to 20000?
He currently uses the recommended high quality recording settings which use the CFR as the decider for the resulting quality :) So apart of CFR, and maybe the 30 fps, I would not recommend to set bitrate to 20k. Especially on ultrafast that would probably be far from enough bitrate for a good quality anyway.

Apart of that Boildown is certainly right. Your timings should be a bit better, although I have no idea how much CPU usage WoW takes on that resolution. OBS took up to 50% of my i7 4770 and I probably did not stress it to the full extent at that time with the content I recorded.

Boildown

You're right, I thought he was using a CBR of 1000, but CBR is off and its using the Quality = 10 setting, which is fine as is. (Which btw is confusing, IMO it should use the x264 standard of Constant Rate Factors, and I just got burned by this confusion again.)

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Despite your confusion I think it's safe to say that using a simple 0-10 quality scale is going to be less confusing and more intuitive to an average user than the 0-51 crf scale where lower values generate higher quality.

Boildown

You're probably right, unless said average user has prior experience with x264's CRF, in Handbrake, for example.

Marcus

Here's an update for you.

Enabled CFR, recorded in 4k, played back just fine in VLC player with both video and audio, but still will not let me import into my video editing software. Any new suggestions?

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Assuming lower resolution videos can be imported properly then it sounds like an issue or limitation with the video editing software, and it would make sense to direct that type of question to its developers.

Marcus

I am having a hard time believing it is my software.

Files still won't playback unless it's VLC player (shouldn't be that way).
I'm still not getting a video thumbnail either way( for my normal 1080p videos, I would)
I have Sony Vegas 11, and there are 4k presets on there, so I know that it accepts up to that resolution.