Question / Help 4k Game Recording

Oragani

Hey, I'm trying to figure out how to make my recording as smooth and crisp as possible.
Kind of like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cOvd5FZC8

---= SPECS =---

1080p monitor, I up the resolution using Nvidia DSR.

RTX 2070 8gb Overclocked
Overclocking: Core Clock +210 MHz
Memory Clock +1300 Mhz

Core i9-9900k 3.60GHz

32gb DDR4

Two 111GB SSDs, one 931GB SSD, and an external 1.31TB drive.

koala

I visited your threads and I come to the conclusion you didn't get the answers you want. Not the answers you need. You got the information to use nvenc (new) with cqp, you got the information to lower the cq value to get better quality. What else do you need?

You said cq 14 looks the same as cq 20 for you. If this is the case, you either didn't actually compared a CQ 14 video with a CQ 20 video, or you didn't compare identical scenes with identical resolution and identical fps, or you recorded a source that has somewhat low detail, or you have an issue with your monitor or with your eyes.

CQ 14 with Nvenc on a Turing Nvidia card isn't distinguishable from the original with your eyes for frames that computer games create. It looks identical by all means. It's distinguishable only with the help of the computer, for example by visualizing the difference between the raw frame and the encoded version of the same frame with an advanced painting app, or by computing the psnr between both.

Last edited:

Oragani

I visited your threads and I come to the conclusion you didn't get the answers you want. Not the answers you need. You got the information to use nvenc (new) with cqp, you got the information to lower the cq value to get better quality. What else do you need?

You said cq 14 looks the same as cq 20 for you. If this is the case, you either didn't actually compared a CQ 14 video with a CQ 20 video, or you didn't compare identical scenes with identical resolution and identical fps, or you recorded a source that has somewhat low detail, or you have an issue with your monitor or with your eyes.

CQ 14 with Nvenc on a Turing Nvidia card isn't distinguishable from the original with your eyes for frames that computer games create. It looks identical by all means. It's distinguishable only with the help of the computer, for example by visualizing the difference between the raw frame and the encoded version of the same frame with an advanced painting app, or by computing the psnr between both.
I already tried all that. My recordings still lag when I play it back. That’s why I said I didn’t get any good answers.

koala

Against lags, limit the fps of your game, if you find the "lagged frames due to rendering lag" message in the log of your recordings. And use a decent media player like VLC or Media Player Classic with high-resolution, high-bandwidth videos. The built-in video player from Windows might produce lags at playback with such material.

Oragani

Against lags, limit the fps of your game, if you find the "lagged frames due to rendering lag" message in the log of your recordings. And use a decent media player like VLC or Media Player Classic with high-resolution, high-bandwidth videos. The built-in video player from Windows might produce lags at playback with such material.
I have my FPS limited to my monitor refresh rate. Usually runs at 60fps.

Oragani

Also, it still lags no matter what program I use to play it.
OBS tells my to lower encoding settings, encoder overload.

Narcogen

Then you need to do that.

If you have psycho visual tuning or lookahead on, turn them off. Increase CQP value. Reduce resolution and/or framerate.

Narcogen

According to your logfile, both of those features are on.

20:53:15.640: lookahead: true
20:53:15.640: psycho_aq: true