Supported Bit Versions
  1. 32-bit
  2. 64-bit
Source Code URL
https://github.com/Fenrirthviti/obs-virtual-cam/releases
Minimum OBS Studio Version
Supported Platforms
  1. Windows
As an FYI, this plugin will not be updated to support OBS 28. I recommend using Exeldro's filter plugin that extend the use of the built-in virtual camera instead.

NOTE: The horizontal flip option is bugged and will likely cause crashes. Please do not use it. If you need to flip your video, either flip the sources in OBS itself, or flip on the receiving end (i.e. in Zoom, Skype, etc.)

This plugin provides a DirectShow Output as a virtual webcam.

How to use:
OBS Virtualcam has two main methods for outputting video from OBS. The first is the Preview output, which is enabled from the Tools menu. This output will provide exactly what you see in the Preview in OBS, including any changes or scenes you might switch to. This is the most common method, and probably what you would want to use.

Preview Output:
1. Select Tools -> VirtualCam in the main OBS Studio window
2. Press the Start button, then close the dialog
3. Open your program (Zoom, Hangouts, Skype, etc.) and choose OBS-Camera as your webcam

The next method is a filter that you can add to any scene or source, if you only want to output that specific scene or source, and nothing else.

Source Filter:
1. Add a VirtualCam filter to the scene/source you want to output to the virtual camera
2. Choose a camera target then press Start
3. If the button does not change to Stop, it means the camera is already in use, and you must choose a different camera or stop the other output first.
4. Open your program (Zoom, Hangouts, Skype, etc.) and choose the camera you selected as the target as your webcam

Why are the resolution and framerate sometimes not the same as my OBS output settings?
If you open an OBS-Camera device in a 3rd party application before starting the output in OBS, OBS-Camera will default to 1080p 30fps. If you start OBS first, it will use whatever is set as the Output resolution and framerate in OBS Studio's options, under Settings -> Video.

Does this plugin support other platforms?
For Linux, you can use the Video4Linux sink plugin for OBS Studio. Directions on how to configure it are available from that link. Work is underway to provide a similar plugin for macOS, but there is no ETA.

Known issues
- Skype from the Windows Store doesn't work with the OBS-Camera, please use Skype Desktop Edition instead.
- Unity can't get image from virtualcam, please use register batch (reg_path.reg) in release page to manually add dummy device path .(note: The registry conflict with skype desktop , you can use unreg_path.reg to remove it)

Donate
Please consider donating to CatxFish, the original author of this plugin. Paypal.me
Author
Fenrir
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.12 star(s) 25 ratings

More resources from Fenrir

Latest reviews

As others have rated I will as well. I was using this plugin to get my camera and other scene/sources to other apps. The OBS latest version is not compatible. I'm about to drop some serious cash on a dev to recreate this function... Taking bids on fiverr as we speak.
My rating is based on the Virtual cam for versions of OBS before the latest: It works and it works well. the only feature I would add is an auto-start feature. This does what it says on the box and allowed me to run it for two major things which included a green screen scene for discord and a program called Mario Maker 2 OCR.

That being said, I am currently in need of a willing and generous developer to update this addon or at least give a valid alternative that will work. Let me explain.

As much as the current developer keeps saying the built in virtual camera will work (and I have kept fiddling with settings really trying to make it work) as well as alternatives on the forums, none of them work for the thing I need it for: Mario Maker 2 OCR. This program looks at a screen (the virtual camera output) and made a nice HTML page to show what level I was playing, as well as how many deaths I had, and how long I was playing... automatically. It was great and neat. I don't know what is with the built in virtual camera but this output crashes Mario Maker 2 OCR.

I have been looking over the forums and so far none of the suggestions I have been able to make work INCLUDING this developer's recommendation of Exeldro's filter plugin (In fact I cannot make that plugin work at all which is upsetting as a recommendation to switch to it.)

And I would say the one programming Mario Maker 2 OCR should make a solution that works, but I think he has abandoned the internet and is not updating anything. So this leaves me in a bind. I am being forced to use an old and ever further outdated version of OBS which will slowly step-by-step lose support and addons.

Please for the love of god can someone that knows what they are doing update this addon for us to use who need it.
Please, please, please update this for version 28. Please? I use multiple virtual camera outputs to send sources to Resolume. Exeldro's plugin only supports one. My process is completely broken without this plugin. Love ya Fenrir.
It worked Great till it lasted. OBS 28 Breaks its usage.
I really want the developer to work on the update's compatibility as this was the only way for us to get multiple outputs as virtual camera.
I know he dont want to, but I beg him to please dont let it die.
This doesn't seem to work with OBS 28 - it is not recognised. Could be because OBS 28 has moved to QT 6?
Fenrir
Fenrir
This plugin will not be updated. I have added a note to the description with a link to the filter plugin from Exeldro if that is something people need.
Is working! <3 This plugin have also an option for horizontal flipping which original OBS don't have :P
I much prefer using this over the offical implementation, hope this stays updated.
Despite official virtual camera support, I still use the VirtualCam Filter in order to participate in group stream sessions.

I would like to lobby for official virtual camera filter support.
Plugin worls with zoom, yitsi, bbb. But when i try to use this plugin or the build in virtual webcam with Adobe Connect it doesn't work. :-(
When I use WhatsApp for meetings,WhatsApp does not recognize this camera(there is only one system camera).Does this require some information to be registered in the registry or how do I do it