Bug Report GW2 not recording after it was previously working

psychuil

For some reason once i define Guild Wars 2 as the game i wanna record i get a black screen. It's strange since it was working beforehand and it has no problem recording other games.

JCade

Did you update from a 0.467 test build to 0.47?
Do you run the game in "Fullscreen Windowed" mode (in the Graphics Options tab)?
-
Due to the above two things, I could only capture GW2 in a window; not in "Fullscreen Windowed".
Reverted back to 0.467a test 11 and everything works fine.

psychuil

Yeah, i was using the last version.

The issue was that i had some graphic mods which turned out to be blocking OBS. Jim- helped me diagnose it.

fazhu23

Hey, I've ran into this problem as well and I was wondering if you guys were able to fix this problem and if so how? I'm able to capture GW2 with the screen capture however it'll freeze when I'm alt-tabbing into different window which I constantly. The first time I ran OBS I was able to capture GW2 under game capture, however now it's still only a black screen. Any ideas on how to solve this? HOw to remove/disable that graphic mod? Thanks!

Krazy

Town drunk
If you actually have any graphics mods installed you should check the site you got them from for uninstallation instructions. Alternatively, if you can't figure it out, you can try repairing the game using this method:

Locate your Gw2.exe file.
Right-click on the file and select Create shortcut.
Rename this new shortcut to Guild Wars 2 Repair.
Right-click on Guild Wars 2 Repair and select Properties.
Locate the Target line and add -repair to the end.
Example: “C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\gw2.exe” -repair
Click OK.

Grimio

Will that command actually remove the DLL's which hook into the game? I believe it will only check the files the game know's about.

Krazy

Town drunk
Yeah, I'm not actually sure. Safest and most complete way to be sure is to just uninstall the game and nuke any remaining files, then reinstall the game.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
There's some graphics mod for guild wars 2 that will interfere with game capture. Basically the graphics mod uses a (improperly constructed) proxy d3d9.dll into the game directory to intercept and redirect graphics stuff so it can do its magic. Unfortunately, do to the fact that it's improperly constructed, it prevents game capture from working. So you have to delete the DLL to make sure it works. If the mod does not have an uninstaller like a good mod would have, then you may just have to scour the directory trying to clean that mod up.

fazhu23

Hey thanks for all the great replies! Don't know what happened but, when I logged back in tonight and tried it again. It was working again! I'll try to see if I can reproduce the situation where it doesn't work. :D Thanks again!