Question / Help Basic question regarding Avermedia C985 PCI-E 1x CC

bruschetta

My question basically surrounds the connectivity of the capture card in regards to monitor, video card and capture card. Most of you should easily be able to answer this, though I want to be sure I am doing this correctly. (I browsed youtube vids, some were ok but not too pleasing.)

At the moment my system is set up like so,
1 PC (no secondary streaming PC).
This is how my GPU looks,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61lW1PioqML._SL1500_.jpg

Currently, my primary monitor runs to the DVI-D female end of GPU
Secondary monitor runs to DVI-I
I have a television mounted on the wall above me witch is connected via HDMI GPU port. (I really only use the television to watch movies, youtube vids, cable television etc...)
I have a DisplayPort to HDMI cable running from the female display port of my GPU to the HDMI IN port of the avermedia C985 card. (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71YNcn5ZM4L._SL1500_.jpg)

Is this correct? I was told by someone that the hdmi OUT port on the avermedia card is not necessary if i am connecting using this method. I just want to be sure my card is actually using it's 'capture' capability to it's fullest. (i will not be recording, merely using it to stream)

The only other way i can think of using this card would be, running the DisplayPort cable from the GPU to the HDMI IN of the avermedia card (or from the HDMI port of the GPU to the HDMI IN of avermedia port), and then an HDMI cable running from HDMI OUT to the back of my primary monitor. (would this even work? I only ask because i have been doing it the first way that i explained for a good while now)

What is the difference here, are both ways ok? Does one way take advantage of the card more / at all than the other? Your responses are GREATLY appreciated and THANK YOU.

EDIT: I do not stream using a console, strictly PC games only.

FerretBomb

A capture card is worthless for a single-system streaming setup, with very few exceptions (possible it can help with SLI issues, can cap some games that block executable/window hooking, allows you to capture video/audio from a console).
Otherwise, it's MUCH faster and lower-load to just use Game Capture, or Window Capture with Aero ON. Using the capture card is very likely to actually HURT performance instead. Game/Window Cap pull directly from the GPU buffers, instead of having to wait, and on top of that use the much slower and resource-intensive DirectShow interface.

Short version: Stop using the capture card, unless you want to play a console game. You've wasted money.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Which monitor are you trying to capture?

Why do you need a capture card on a single-PC setup? There are a few good reasons to use a capture card in a single-PC setup, but they are not very common.

bruschetta

dodgepong said:
Which monitor are you trying to capture?

Why do you need a capture card on a single-PC setup? There are a few good reasons to use a capture card in a single-PC setup, but they are not very common.

I am trying to capture on my primary monitor (what DVI-D is connected to), i only use the television (lcd) above me for movies, videos, cable/satellite television etc.. It's barely ever on unless i am doing those 2 things ,in fact i disable it when streaming. Just i figured id mention my setup to you guys.

Also my intentions were to take the eminence CPU load off of the CPU and in a sense direct it to the capture card, though this is a learning experience and i am fine with that so, all the new knowledge and information helps.

bruschetta

FerretBomb said:
A capture card is worthless for a single-system streaming setup, with very few exceptions (possible it can help with SLI issues, can cap some games that block executable/window hooking, allows you to capture video/audio from a console).
Otherwise, it's MUCH faster and lower-load to just use Game Capture, or Window Capture with Aero ON. Using the capture card is very likely to actually HURT performance instead. Game/Window Cap pull directly from the GPU buffers, instead of having to wait, and on top of that use the much slower and resource-intensive DirectShow interface.

Short version: Stop using the capture card, unless you want to play a console game. You've wasted money.

Money wasted i may have, though i can sell it and get a decent percentage back. OK THEN, how about a medium answer disregarding the possible negative performance , would the setup described above actually work and which of the two seems more logical to work?

On the contrary, i have an ultrabook laptop that i was suggesting to use as a secondary streaming pc. I am just unsure of what capture device to use. I was thinking the Avermedia Portable, however someone had suggested this,

http://www.solarisjapan.com/xcapture-1-usb-3-0-hd-capture-unit/?setCurrencyId=1

which seems pleasing.

This is my laptop,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230692

since i'm not too familiar wit the xcapture usb 3.0 hd capture unit, how exactly would i go about setting this up?

Thanks again for the responses.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you were to keep the current setup with the single PC and capture card, then you would do what you described in your first post and clone your primary output to the DP output going to the LGHD, assuming you had some sort of DP->HDMI converter.

But as Ferretbomb said, using a capture card on a single-PC setup is largely useless (unless you want the effect of monitor capture on fullscreen games, or are trying to capture games that can't be hooked with Game capture for one reason or another).

The XCAPTURE-1 is a great capture card, but it only works if yo have an Intel or Renesas USB 3.0 port. You can check your system by going into the Device manager and looking for an Intel or Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. If you have it, then you're good. The setup would be the same: plug the XCAPTURE-1 into the laptop, and the HDMI cable into the XCAPTURE-1, and close the primary output with the output that is going into the capture card. The i7 in that laptop should perform decently enough.

bruschetta

dodgepong said:
If you were to keep the current setup with the single PC and capture card, then you would do what you described in your first post and clone your primary output to the DP output going to the LGHD, assuming you had some sort of DP->HDMI converter.

But as Ferretbomb said, using a capture card on a single-PC setup is largely useless (unless you want the effect of monitor capture on fullscreen games, or are trying to capture games that can't be hooked with Game capture for one reason or another).

The XCAPTURE-1 is a great capture card, but it only works if yo have an Intel or Renesas USB 3.0 port. You can check your system by going into the Device manager and looking for an Intel or Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. If you have it, then you're good. The setup would be the same: plug the XCAPTURE-1 into the laptop, and the HDMI cable into the XCAPTURE-1, and close the primary output with the output that is going into the capture card. The i7 in that laptop should perform decently enough.

Well, after checking the laptops device manager i noticed this,

http://i.imgur.com/UEMK9u2.png

I think i may be in business dodgepong ^^.

1. I believe you mentioned the XCAPTURE-1 device as a great alternative to the AM portable, which judging by the price i can only assume that it does a fantastic job however, what are some other alternatives? I had no idea XCAPTURE-1 even existed noting how it came from a Japanese website of some sort ?? The XCAPTURE-1 may be the greatest choice for me regarding my specific setup...

2. Now your answer was a bit puzzling to me, let me try to reiterate my understanding of what you said.

Plug the USB 3.0 cord coming from the XCAPTURE-1 (there's only one i believe) into the USB 3.0 eXtensible port on the side of the laptop - and then plug the HDMI male end running from my DisplayPort (I have a DP to HDMI cable) out of my Gaming PC GPU into the HDMI IN female end of the XCAPTURE-1? That should merely do the job?

3. Also, since i will be using my laptop as the "streaming pc", will my broadcasting software (OBS, xsplit etc.) have to be ran on the laptop? Your answers are much appreciated.

bruschetta

dodgepong said:

lol much thanks dodgepong... what confused me was the last part
"close the primary output with the output that is going into the capture card"
You are basically saying plug the DP -> HDMI end into the "HDMI In" plug of the XCAPTURE-1?

I would not be using the HDMI Out plug on the XCAPTURE-1 at all, correct? (or any other plugs for that matter, only the USB 3.0 and HDMI In)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Correct. HDMI Out is only for passthrough (i.e. if you wanted to go GPU -> XCAPTURE -> Monitor instead of GPU -> Monitor and GPU -> XCAPTURE).

bruschetta

dodgepong said:
Correct. HDMI Out is only for passthrough (i.e. if you wanted to go GPU -> XCAPTURE -> Monitor instead of GPU -> Monitor and GPU -> XCAPTURE).

I see now, alright then, thank you. Audio will probably be an issue then i would assume - and aside from avermedia LGP, XCAPTURE is probably the greatest option for a realistic consumer price range?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If the laptop has a line-in port, you can just output from the computer to that.

The XCAPTURE-1 is by far the best consumer-grade USB capture device. most other devices, especially USB 2.0 devices, have problems. For example, the LGP has to use the Avermedia "Stream Engine" to even be added to OBS, which is beta software that doesn't always work, and since it's USB 2.0, there's a very noticeable 1-2 second delay between when something is capture and when it appears on-screen. USB 2.0 devices are not idea. The XCAPTURE-1 is a great device that you will be happy with.

bruschetta

dodgepong said:
If the laptop has a line-in port, you can just output from the computer to that.

The XCAPTURE-1 is by far the best consumer-grade USB capture device. most other devices, especially USB 2.0 devices, have problems. For example, the LGP has to use the Avermedia "Stream Engine" to even be added to OBS, which is beta software that doesn't always work, and since it's USB 2.0, there's a very noticeable 1-2 second delay between when something is capture and when it appears on-screen. USB 2.0 devices are not idea. The XCAPTURE-1 is a great device that you will be happy with.

Hey dodgepong,

I have been researching around a bit and I came across this review of the XCAPTURE-1
http://www.sixfortyfive.com/streaming/xcapture1.html

It is fairly recent and updated describing the functions and capability of the item. In the review, sixfortyfive (the author) mentioned 2 other capture devices that could match or rival the XCAPTURE, those being the BlackmagicDesign units (i'm not sure which of the 3 would be best for my intended use)

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products

and another one that caught my eye, the unreleased AVermedia Extremecap U3 which is due to be released December 3rd, 2013, supposedly. (My only gripe is that there are no R & L audio ports on this device.. this might be a problem? o.O)
http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/game_capture/extremecap_u3
http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/upload/product/datasheet/english/DS_CV710_Gaming_EN.pdf

youtube review of someone who was lucky enough to receive the item pre-release
http://youtu.be/Kn-17vpmw1w

Your take on these two items (blackmagic and extremecap U3) in comparison with the XCAPTURE-1 ? I am going to hold off and wait on purchasing the XCAPTURE until I notice a price tag on the Extremecap and possibly more reviews.

FerretBomb

I'd be a bit leery about using an ultrabook (or any notebook) as an encoding machine. Generally they're rather lacking in power.

Muf

Forum Moderator
FerretBomb said:
I'd be a bit leery about using an ultrabook (or any notebook) as an encoding machine. Generally they're rather lacking in power.
Ultrabooks have Quick Sync though. It's pretty good.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle is very difficult to work with and probably wouldn't do all the things you would want. It's limited and its drivers are extremely picky about what signals it accepts. I can't recommend it.

The AverMedia device doesn't have Composite or RBG inputs, nor does it do passthrough.

The XCAPTURE-1 is by far the best external capture device you can get. It's really the only USb capture device I can comfortably recommend to anyone.

Boildown

The Extremecap U3 looks good if the price is right. Its not quite as capable as the XCAPTURE-1, but if all you need is HDMI, then that might not matter to you.

I would look to send the Displayport output to one of your monitors if possible... I'm leery of the idea of converting it to HDMI and then capturing it. Converting DVI to HDMI is much more natural. That said, if you try it and it works, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

bruschetta

Boildown said:
The Extremecap U3 looks good if the price is right. Its not quite as capable as the XCAPTURE-1, but if all you need is HDMI, then that might not matter to you.

I would look to send the Displayport output to one of your monitors if possible... I'm leery of the idea of converting it to HDMI and then capturing it. Converting DVI to HDMI is much more natural. That said, if you try it and it works, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Well here is what i came up with Boildown,

Since my secondary monitor is simply for convenience of having a second display, it's cheap and not so important as the others.. THAT monitor is connected to the DVI-I GPU port, I can use this,
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...1385427819&sr=8-1&keywords=DisplayPort+to+vga

and connect the secondary monitor to the adapter which can then connect into the DisplayPort... (The end of the monitor cord is a vga male... I use a vga to dvi-i adapter now for connection)

That leaves the DVI-I GPU port open, so, I chose to use this guy,
http://www.amazon.com/Dvi-i-Dual-li...224&sr=8-1&keywords=dvi-i+male+to+hdmi+female

connecting into my DVI-I GPU port, and then using a Male to Male HDMI cord to run from this adapter to the HDMI-In on the XCAPTURE-1..

How does that sound lol... I would rather not use the HDMI port on the GPU because that is used by the LCD television already, unless running the HDMI male to male cables from the XCAPTURE to the HDMI female on the GPU would be better. But does it really matter?

this is what i was initially just going to use to connect XCAPTURE to the GPU

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...85428482&sr=8-2&keywords=Display+Port+to+HDMI

What do you think dodgepong.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you're going to buy cables and adapters, I recommend http://www.monoprice.com/

I concur with Boildown's suggestion to convert DVI to HDMI rather than Displayport to HDMI.

Do neither of your monitors have DisplayPort input?